Pre Season Games

I’m noo gettin ma knickers in a twist over a preseason game on the other side of the world, these things a wee jolly for the players, a team building exercise, a chance for the Japanese players to be front and centre, do the media talking and to show their team mates the guid noodle and sushi bars..

17 hr flight, jet lag, high humidity, trying to come to terms with Rodgers style of play, I’d don’t know what everyone was expecting, it panned out pretty much as I’d thought it would 🤷‍♂️
Friendlies are a chance to try things out, things you might wish to employ in the real campaign, but need somewhere safe to execute them should it not work out. Against an opponent well into a season would, I imagine, be the ideal surroundings to attempt things.

Well Respectfully GS , I'm slightly surprised by that reaction.
Not at losing , I thought it was a big ask in short time and travel included etc.

Still it's nothing new, we've known this for sometime about our defense.

This is not an ordinary team this is Japanese champions on their home turf and our kids couldn't cut it (jmo) in the time they had which isn't surprising to me , our kids mostly V their internationals.

We're this competitive, fact scrub that we're better than them and think they know it, how many sides will hit them like we did this season?

This is the club Ange won Asian champions league with?
Yet only when our kids, too many I thought weren't up for it did our trials and tribulations in Galsgow>Portugal (2xclosed games)> Glasgow ( somebody forget their toothbrush?)
What was the point in that? Just more jet lag. Then Glasgow to Japan its a lot to ask.

I'm happy enough with what I saw, my brother thinks Osaze could be the answer, I think lawal could be but apparently so far anyway Rodgers is favouring Welsh as our back up.

I'm not sugar coating anything afore I get slated but remembering that's our 3rd game and they're onto halfway stage , at times it looked to me like they were blowing out they're ar*es more than us and that was without Kyogo.

Many lessons to take from it, but yes defence is the main area of reconstruction which is required foremost so I agree with you and POD there.

Not just the football on the park, perhaps in hindsight we should've gone there or Korea first to train and then play our tour, then finish back via Portugal, Dublin, Glasgow, I'm no expert but that imo would surely have put us in a stronger position ,fitness wise, less jetlag , less finance and more time to let the Koreans ( couldve trained there if not played) and Japanese see more of us , smaller carbon footprint aye loads to take from it .

Dislike losing but cannot call them an ordinary team because they aren't.
If they were why we buying their manager and players?

Defense and Keeper , positions to improve upon yes but not as bad as I feared tbh hoping for better against Osaka but can't forget its md3 of pre-season with plenty time for reinforcements .

Mon eh squiggly hoops HH
The usual sensible head on Winter, sit back and take stock then say what you think.
I am the opposite,I say what I think then sit back and ask myself ...why did I say that.
Today was different,I watched the game going on at centre back and never at anytime was I comfortable with any of our centre backs,imo this is a must fix position, as I said today consistency wins trophy,s,neither Starfelt or Kobyashi are consistent enough for me..I know B.R. know,s his job very well so I have to have faith in him and know he will do the right thing and strengthen the defence, he has a transfer chest of £55m allegedly I feel it is about time he opened the box and see what jumps out at him,, hopefully it is something like Bobo..

HH

With you on that SP don’t like the carpetbagger one bit.
But not getting upset over a training game or games. We need a few positions filled
Cover for C/Half,C/Mid enforcer Goalkeeper.
We were slightly disjointed at times at others the movement was great.
Start to panic not when the Season starts at CP against Ross County that’s the game that matters when 3 points are on the line.
So fingers crossed 🤞

HH 🍀

Thought Iwata had a great game at RB. They created nothing down our right so he must have been good defensively, certainly positionally, and going forward linked up really well with Abada. Calm on the ball, doesn't panic and looks to play a positive pass. Played the inverted full back role as well as I've seen any of our players. Playing there he also gives the option of quickly changing to a back three, similar to when Lustig played there under Rodgers last time.
Gary, Iwata is a baller!

He's oor Martini man: 'any time, any place, anywhere.....He's the right one, he's the bright one.....that's Iwata'

If we had champions league qualifiers to play a could see why a bit of unrest
would be creeping in,,but come on!! Guys are just finding there feet again after a good rest,thats exactly what these games are for,,it’s no so much the actual game as the living together for a period of time bonding,travelling getting to know the “ego” and his ways on how he sees us playing this season??a think “the ego” knows better than us what’s needed and if not he should chuck it….centre hawf,right back,,Kieran teirney..bobo balde..

If we had champions league qualifiers to play a could see why a bit of unrest
would be creeping in,,but come on!! Guys are just finding there feet again after a good rest,thats exactly what these games are for,,it’s no so much the actual game as the living together for a period of time bonding,travelling getting to know the “ego” and his ways on how he sees us playing this season??a think “the ego” knows better than us what’s needed and if not he should chuck it….centre hawf,right back,,Kieran teirney..bobo balde..
Agreed, their 1st was a bad mistake by hart and most of their goals came in the 2nd half after subs were made.
During his last spell in charge BRs experimented a lot in pre-season games so I think he doesnt expect too much result wise. I think what he looks for is players who grasp the opportunity and to gauge the fitness of his senior players. He will have learned a lot from today.

BREAKING! Brendan Rodgers reacts to Celtic’s 6-4 pre season friendly defeat to Yokohama ⬇️

‘It’s a period of the season where we’re only a few weeks in and assessing where we’re at. We could have been better for the first goal before it got to Joe.

‘It’s 25 yards out and there’s a player turning within our organisation. But I think we made a number of mistakes for the goals that we gave away. I’m assessing everything at the moment.

‘These players, their attitude and energy in everything that they do, on and off the pitch, is great. The humility that they have and how they work and present themselves is first class. They’re also very talented footballers.
‘You saw Daizen. It was a brilliant performance and I’m very happy for him to come back and play so well.
‘He scored three and maybe could have had one or two more. he was excellent in the game and the other players contributed, some more than others over the past few years.

“I think it was a really good exercise for us. It was always going to be a challenge, firstly from a physical perspective.

‘We arrived here in Japan on Monday and were into a game in hot conditions, against a team that are more than halfway into the season.

‘But there were some really good bits in the game. Some of our goals were excellent. I thought Maeda was exceptional in his performance. It was everything you’d want in a striker; running, movement and pressing.

‘We gave away some poor goals but a lot of that will be due to fitness and improving the structure of the team as we go along. So all in all, a really good exercise for us. in a really good atmosphere.

‘The result isn’t the priority at this point so we’ll prepare for when it matters’

The game is over and we shipped six goals. That means we have defensive problems that need fixed. That's a statement of fact. We start our first SPFL game in just over two weeks. That's when the score matters. We can still win every game in August and September. That would make us top of the league and doing well in Europe.

and he was in the crowd celebrating it
F1ZW-h3WYAIsX3e

He’s here, he’s there…..you know the rest…

Back