our board

should we organise a petition demanding that our board stand up and start defending our club

• yes

Votes: 44 97.8%
  • no

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
I just noticed someone voted no to the question posed on this thread. Could you identify yourself and walk me through your thinking please?
Hi TV, as much as I agree with you in being surprised at anyone voting against this question, it's still a resounding yes mate, but calling someone out in a poll even though it's democracy on a small scale is a wee bit iffy, eveyone has the choice to vote how they like and we should respect that even when completely disagreeing with them.

Have just read Fergusions defence of Morelos in the record,He says as it's an old firm match it's ok to kick use an elbow or anything else you can get away with,I suppose if you played the game that way its justified,well friends now we know where thier supporters get it from,you can't call this man a idiot because he,s too thick to qualify in fact the last thing that was thicker than him they built a car park on it,god help football if the media are prepared to print his rubbish

Have just read Fergusions defence of Morelos in the record,He says as it's an old firm match it's ok to kick use an elbow or anything else you can get away with,I suppose if you played the game that way its justified,well friends now we know where thier supporters get it from,you can't call this man a idiot because he,s too thick to qualify in fact the last thing that was thicker than him they built a car park on it,god help football if the media are prepared to print his rubbish
Barry Ferguson? The one who cheated the taxman and then tried to dodge any comeback by transferring his assets to his wife and declaring himself bankrupt? I'm sure I read that the courts can overturn such a 'bankruptcy' if Hector thinks it was done to avoid tax. I hope that is correct. Go get him, Hector!

Phwoar.........money in the bank!!!

Almost get the aroma of 'vile bile' with a festive hint of John Player Specials from here.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I mean just from that photo alone you can almost smell what the 'Vile Bile' aroma would be like, a combination of boiled cabbage, bottled dug farts, the stench of failure and not forgetting that hint of John Player Specials! :sick:

HH mate.

Thank you for your very clear reply to my somewhat emotional statement. I was just comparing the backlash to PL not saying he doesn’t deserve some of it or all of it but on the other hand I was wishing we could get away from this what seemed to me like a witchunt instead of looking at the real criminals who are getting away with cheating.
Yes I do understand a little better now that we have to do something on official terms to state that this cheating is unacceptable. And I understand by what has happened with Resolution 12 how it needs to come fro the club and it’s more difficult for fans to do anything and therefore we are looking towards the Celtic Board to run with this.
Just me and my (E - emotions) over the (I - Intellect) when it comes to my beloved Celtic I just find it awfully hard when they’re getting slagged at any level ?HH Maria
VAR...... it has to be introduced . But i strongly believe in Karma just a matter of time for Sevco 2 Hail Hail.☘☘

VAR -- I mentioned on another thread that VAR is dependent on who actually reviews the incidents for its fairness . The referee ( if the World Cup experiment is the way it works ) requires the referee to be the ultimate arbiter . Mr Beaton , reviewing the Morelos incidents would have had the last word - as he states in his report to the SFA , he 'saw; the incidents in question and did NOT deem them to be worthy of any action !
I rest my case , m'lud !
HH

Suppose Old firm (his words not mine) must extend to Hibs, Hearts,Aberdeen and any othe team they have kicked and moaned about. the Scottish Mainstream Media is just a big asylum sponsored by crayola were each of the occupants have to outdo each other in their colouring in quota.
maxresdefault.jpg

My apologies useing the idiots words as in the record,said before when you go into administration your defunct and no longer a going concern after your assets have been sold,people can twist it as much as they like you're still dead and gone

Hi TV, as much as I agree with you in being surprised at anyone voting against this question, it's still a resounding yes mate, but calling someone out in a poll even though it's democracy on a small scale is a wee bit iffy, eveyone has the choice to vote how they like and we should respect that even when completely disagreeing with them.

I agree with that but i have at tomes told people when o totally disagree with them.

I find it more honest and upfront.

There are people who post stuff i don’t agree with then a couple of days later they post on a diff subject and i agree 100% lol

I havent seen tv’s post though.

HH great point well made pal ☘️

Andy Im not a fan of the board. I fully agree they could be better in so many ways. Especially on the clubs ethics.

But Lawell is paid to a particular job, just like anybody else at any business. And the job he is paid to do is to keep the managers risk quantum under control and within budgets.

And based on that part of his job, which is the most important job at any business, he has grown the club while keeping the manager within budgets, applied risk management without emotion and has done the fundamental vital part of his job with flying colours.

I read so many places Lawell doesnt deserve a bonus?
Which Ceo would not be geting abonus for those kind of financial metrics?

Emotionally I detest the expediency over ethics. But thats the tooth and claw nature of capitalism.

But lets put the emotional stuff aside.

Penny pinching

The board have sanctioned a almost doubling the already biggest wage bill in Scotland. Thats not penny pinching.

They have on top of that implemented the most radical superficial luxury travel and chattels for the players. They have the biggest and best training facility.

They have put in fancy lights shows.

When they could have sold all the players for mega millions they tried to keep them by doubling their wages. which doesnt make them more valuable to the club either internally or to prospective buyers. Who take their current wage into consideration when making an offer for any player.

Example if mcgregor worth 10 million transfer when getting 10 k per week. Giving him 20k per week weakens the selling clubs hold on the player since they are potentially stretching their wage resources to beyond breaking point wages. And therefore crippling the clubs negotiating power should another club start dangling 100k wages. End result the player probably sells for less than 10M illion even if he playing equally well under 20k

Now most of that stuff doesnt bother the ordianry fan they just want the best players on the park playing the best football.

But thats where the money men come into play. They need to be able to work out th risks of the fiancial aspects of the club. And in that respect Lawell is genius.

Had rodgers been doing the business on the aprk nobody would care much bout lawell.

But fact rodgers doing medicore all the emotions point towards something going wrong and since rodgers had been doing well it must be Lawell

But the facts on the money side of things show clearly hence the high share price that the club is run by shrewd money men.
Thats his job therefore in that context he deserves the bonusu for the period in which we double treble.

He's definitely kept the manager within a budget, that's kinda my point TET, it's that budget and the player criteria set out by Lawell and the board which is making the manager's job an almost impossible task.

You can only progress a team so far when being forced to work within such tight constraints. If that budget forces the manager to recruit from the lower end of the market then it stands to reason that the kind of players available in that market are of a certain standard. When these signings fail to make an impact people automatically point the finger at the manager because 'he signed them' but would he have signed these particular players in the first place if more funds were made available to him? I very much doubt the manager would be signing the likes of Gamboa and Commper if he wasn't being forced to operate in that particular market but his options are limited by the budget being set and no matter how good a manager is at his job money only goes so far and every player has their limitations. It also has to be said that if a manager is given the necessary funds to secure the standard of player required then there would be no need to go out and spend millions more on transfer fees for a second or third time and the squad would not be bloated with mediocre players who don't play draining tens of thousands in wages. It's likely that in the long run this ends up costing the club much more than it would have if they had just sanctioned the signing the manager required in the first place.

You say Lawell has 'grown the club while keeping the manager within budgets' but the fact is that growth is not all down to Lawell and the board far from it, much of it has been down to the hard work and dedication of managers, players, coaches, our scouting network and fans putting their hands in their pockets season after season. Without the fans buying up season books and merchandise, without successive titles and trophies being secured, without the revenue of CL qualification and without the ability of managers and coaches to develop these 'project players' and turn them into players we can sell on for 8 figure sums then the club's accounts and share price wouldn't look half as healthy as they do now. The fact any of this has been achieved under such a restrictive transfer budget and player recruitment policy is a minor miracle and to attribute all this financial success to Peter Lawell and herald him as a 'genius' devalues the colossal efforts and contributions made by all those I mentioned above.

Of course Lawell and the board are clever businessmen but it's doesn't take 'shrewd money men' or a 'genius' to work out that hoarding tens of millions of £'s from player sales and CL qualification while starving successive managers of much needed funds will produce an extremely healthy bank balance. What gets me is that these clever businessmen never seem to work out that this approach always leads to the same outcome, that continued neglect of the football operation results in failure to qualify for the CL and deprives us of our biggest revenue stream and every time that happens they then go on to sell our top assets and we're forced to go back to square one and build the team from the ground up again. There is NO excuse for these 'shrewd' businessmen not to learn from that costly mistake after the first time of it happening so it is downright negligence that they continue to repeat it over and over again. It's this negligence that has leads us back to where we are now, thin on quality and weighted down by mediocrity.

I'm not going to go into the increases of the wage bill/contract renewals as I've addressed this point already and it is far more likely that this was done at the behest of Peter Lawell as a way of maximising any potential profit from future player sales. Also I would hazard a guess that the luxury travel to places like Dubai have more to do with the club hierarchy trying to build links and open up new revenue streams by courting some extremely wealthy and influential people and are less to do with taking BR and the bhoys on expensive jollies abroad. I would also bet my that BR wasn't the one who requested £5m be spent on disco lights instead of a CB :giggle:

With regards to Boyata personally I don't rate the guy but BR does and as far as he was concerned he was being asked to sell his best CB with nobody coming in to replace him. No manager in their right mind would give their blessing to weakening their starting 11 especially in the one area where the team was already struggling and could least afford it and I suspect that even the 'money men' grudgingly accepted this. As for the higher bids for Dembele the only one that ever looked like a concrete bid came in from Brighton and it was widely reported that it was the player who put the kibosh on that deal not the manager as he had already stated he wanted to leave for a bigger club.

Although it may not seem like it after reading all of the above I do recognise the good Lawell and the board do for the club. The new hybrid pitch, the brilliant Celtic Way, the state of the art training facility, the Academy that has produced the likes of KT and Mikey Johston, overseas Soccer Schools that will open new doors for the club in regards to scouting and recruitment, the plans to build a hotel complex and museum as well as all the sponsorship deals etc. all this is vital to the future growth and success of the club but NONE of it is as vital as putting the best team we possibly can out on that pitch because it's that that makes the rest possible and as things stand Lawell and the board are treating the club like a resource to finance the business instead of the business being a resource to finance the club.

I support Celtic Football Club not Celtic PLC and I'll never stop reminding Lawell and the board of that.

HH TET.

Cheers Shamrock, MD (y)

I get TET is being devil's advocate where Lawell & the board are concerned and I agree they have done some great work at the club but when it comes to investment in the team they are not doing nearly enough. Their stubborn refusal to fund it properly and deviate from their rigid transfer policy is holding the club back and limiting it's potential and no board should be allowed to get away with that.

HH.

Members online

Latest posts

Back