Targets

There are different ways to examine this issue. Indulge my use of a fashion analogy! Some folks use their clothing budget at Primark and buy a lot of inexpensive items that don't always stand up to a few cycles through the washing process. Others use a similarly sized budget to buy fewer items of a perceived higher quality. However, a small number of fashion consumers get their hands on very high quality material and design their own garments.
As a club, Celtic tend to mix some Primark shopping with a desire to try some homespun solutions. Just occasionally, we can upcycle an item (Christie) but our desire to penny-pinch has also resulted in a few flops that looked good in the shop but which we hardly ever wear (Compper).
So far, Brendan Rodgers has demonstrated that he doesn't need to shop at Gucci or Versace too often and when he does he tries to buy an item on sale only after he has tried it on a few times (French Eddie). However, it is the mixing of a bit of Primark, an item or two from the top stores, an occasional secondhand garment, and something homemade that is Rodgers's forte. If the purse strings are pulled and he's forced to search in the bargain bins and in secondhand stores he is unlikely to pull together an outfit fit for a big night out (European football).
I prefer the Brendan style to the Ronnie style. Both were successful, Ronnie used the budget effectively but ultimately the finished look wasn't nearly of the same standard that Brendan has consistently produced.
Sure, it is time for Celtic to freshen up the wardrobe but I hope PL gives Brendan leeway to splash out on a few luxury items.

Haha Prague, brilliant.

Although primark should only ever be viewed as disposable clothing so in effect great analogy lol ???

For me qualifying for the CL is what it must feel like for richer clubs who win it. It gives us now circa £60m and thstbensures donestic domination and being able to secure 3rd spot in a CL group if we invest in quality. Who knows how far we could go dropping into the EL after Christmas.

A few years banking £60m would not make us contenders for the CL, but by fuck it would put our boot firmly on the neck of Sevco and that would be ok with me.

There are different ways to examine this issue. Indulge my use of a fashion analogy! Some folks use their clothing budget at Primark and buy a lot of inexpensive items that don't always stand up to a few cycles through the washing process. Others use a similarly sized budget to buy fewer items of a perceived higher quality. However, a small number of fashion consumers get their hands on very high quality material and design their own garments.
As a club, Celtic tend to mix some Primark shopping with a desire to try some homespun solutions. Just occasionally, we can upcycle an item (Christie) but our desire to penny-pinch has also resulted in a few flops that looked good in the shop but which we hardly ever wear (Compper).
So far, Brendan Rodgers has demonstrated that he doesn't need to shop at Gucci or Versace too often and when he does he tries to buy an item on sale only after he has tried it on a few times (French Eddie). However, it is the mixing of a bit of Primark, an item or two from the top stores, an occasional secondhand garment, and something homemade that is Rodgers's forte. If the purse strings are pulled and he's forced to search in the bargain bins and in secondhand stores he is unlikely to pull together an outfit fit for a big night out (European football).
I prefer the Brendan style to the Ronnie style. Both were successful, Ronnie used the budget effectively but ultimately the finished look wasn't nearly of the same standard that Brendan has consistently produced.
Sure, it is time for Celtic to freshen up the wardrobe but I hope PL gives Brendan leeway to splash out on a few luxury items.
Ha ha, I do like your analogy,puts a different slant on it,suppose it could make sense,hh

Members online

Latest posts

Back