Martin O'Neill Appreciation

Martin had a shit team when he first joined and he got us 9 points a few times in champions league and that is normally enough to get you to last 16 but we where just very unlucky (especially with juve cheating last minute) but I respect your opinion ☘️ also Petrov etc wouldn’t have became the player he was without Martin
He had a disjointed squad with low morale,but larsson lubo mjallby Lambert petrov mcnamara boyd stubbs were in no way shit,even the likes of mahe and petta and tommy johnson had ability,viduka and berkovic wanted away,fair enough,I agree he made petrov and mjallby great players for us

He had a disjointed squad with low morale,but larsson lubo mjallby Lambert petrov mcnamara boyd stubbs were in no way shit,even the likes of mahe and petta and tommy johnson had ability,viduka and berkovic wanted away,fair enough,I agree he made petrov and mjallby great players for us
No what actually your correct I never thought about that tbh but he did make players better and signed some great players too tho….but you are correct tho and I loved wee Jackie great player

I know earlier I mentioned some legends that I believe deserve to be recognised and in the past I've said to rename the North Stand after The Bunnet who built it, a new/refurbished Main Stand after McGrory and the ground after Brother Walfrid. I've also suggested lifesize bronze statues of the Lions walking onto the pitch in Lisbon on The Celtic Way.

But really we need to crowdfund to raise money to pay for the man who most deserves recognition from us fans. So tonight I am going to invite all true fans to pay your hard earned cash to fund a new solid gold statue of Peter Lawwell. I am 100% sure we all agree he is fantastic, a real hero and a man of the people. Surely no one can think of anyone more worthy than PL?

I know earlier I mentioned some legends that I believe deserve to be recognised and in the past I've said to rename the North Stand after The Bunnet who built it, a new/refurbished Main Stand after McGrory and the ground after Brother Walfrid. I've also suggested lifesize bronze statues of the Lions walking onto the pitch in Lisbon on The Celtic Way.

But really we need to crowdfund to raise money to pay for the man who most deserves recognition from us fans. So tonight I am going to invite all true fans to pay your hard earned cash to fund a new solid gold statue of Peter Lawwell. I am 100% sure we all agree he is fantastic, a real hero and a man of the people. Surely no one can think of anyone more worthy than PL?
Walk away frae the deludamol fridge ffs ritethefucknoo
They’re will be a chap at the door 🚪 go to the door 🚪 go through the door 🚪
Put the reverse sleeved coat 🧥 oan get in the van 🚐 and ffs get in the padded cell you’ll get oot the padded cell when sense returns or the antibiotics kick in
Please this is furyirainguid
Your in ma foats.
Ya big daftie yi

HH😱🫣😱🫣😱

A remember Barnes/dalglesh played petrov as a fullback when he got a game??

A remember Barnes/dalglesh played petrov as a fullback when he got a game??
That's right. Petrov was played as a FB in a 4-2-2-2 formation I seem to remember. JB actually started out with a very good winning percentage as manager, but obviously it went downhill after a few months and Viduka & Burley especially got pissed off and did not hold back in voicing their anger at Barnes.

Reading the posts and the players mentioned under Mon, WGS and even Lennon the latter two taking us through the group stages was incredible achievement , more incredible for lenny as a rookie manager.
For me the side WGS put together, the Stephen pressleys, evander sno, Paul telfer, Lee naylor , Mark Wilson, Darren Odea , Stephen mcmamus and an astronaut in Kenny Miller even?, I mean cmon , he was a brave celtic manager, there was no love of Strachan when he was unveiled, then two former rangers players signed, that meant nothing to him, he had to get the best player's possible for the pennies pinched. Yes he inherited lenny and Bobo, had some real quality to even it up in magic zurawski , nakamura, big Jan the man( underrated Celt imo big game player( boruc and for a while gravesson was doing it even, before his nuttiness came to the fore.
Those bhoys had no business going as far as they did.
Looking back at that team it's really quite incredible what he achieved.
Was it a Kaka extra time goal I think in Milan kod us from going to the ¼finals?
We feared no one and teams feared us such was our home record then, fantastic times.

I'd have to echo, echo, echo, thetes an echo in here, what some others have said about , statues and Stands.
Then I'd say McGrory for a statue though I'm not overly keen on them as we've had so so many heroic talismanic players. McGrory was sensational his record stood as the best or one of the top 3 ever i mind messi only overtook him for goals scored a few years ago what a legacy" the bunnet" McCann deserves the stadium named after him not just a stand.
There are no others like Fergus, came in saved us, built the impressive CP and left with the little profit he said he would and not a penny more( many would say was his motto but he set us on the right track again.
Sure he could piss off even the most optimistic Tim, jock browns appointment still gives me the icks.
However I really do believe were the stadium to be called the Fergus McCanns Celtic Park tomorrow I'd have absolutely no qualms , arguments nor anything against such a decision, though perhaps Sony's Paradise Park might bring in more money, no one is more deserving of such an accolade than the bunnet. All Hail the man, the saviour , the bunnet, Fergus McCann. HH

Last edited:
The thing about calling it Fergus McCann Park is its gonna be shortened to Feegie Park aint it... And if you dont know Feegie Park, well lets just say you widnae go your holidays there 😂😂😂.

Keep it as Celtic Park and name the Main Stand or North Stand after the great mhan. And whilst they're at it Lennoxtown training facility should be named after Tommy Burns.

The thing about calling it Fergus McCann Park is its gonna be shortened to Feegie Park aint it... And if you dont know Feegie Park, well lets just say you widnae go your holidays there 😂😂😂.

Keep it as Celtic Park and name the Main Stand or North Stand after the great mhan. And whilst they're at it Lennoxtown training facility should be named after Tommy Burns.
It has to be the North Stand in honour of Fergus seeing as he built this stand. Of course, it would be rechristened "The Bunnet", which is totally acceptable. I've long thought Lennoxtown should be renamed in honour of Tommy Burns.

100% 50 the Tommy Burns training complex
And the McGrory training complex when the new ones done.
And The Bunnet Arena

HH🍀

The Martin O'Neil era was another great time in our history and will always be remembered with great memories of putting us back on the map in Europe... winning our first treble since Big Jock and having a big strong physical team with some world class skill in the form of Henke and Lubos who could match anything in front of us.

However as much as Martin presided over alot of great memories I have to say it still pains me to this day that we lost that Final in Seville and went on to win nothing in that season with the then Rangers winning a treble.
We also had black Sunday(helicopter to the other mob) ....so as much as I loved Martin he never quite acheived that golden era of ultimate glory like a Maley or Stein before him.
No statue for Martin for me but ultimately he doesn't need one as we all know he was a Saint 😉🇮🇪💚😇

The Martin O'Neil era was another great time in our history and will always be remembered with great memories of putting us back on the map in Europe... winning our first treble since Big Jock and having a big strong physical team with some world class skill in the form of Henke and Lubos who could match anything in front of us.

However as much as Martin presided over alot of great memories I have to say it still pains me to this day that we lost that Final in Seville and went on to win nothing in that season with the then Rangers winning a treble.
We also had black Sunday(helicopter to the other mob) ....so as much as I loved Martin he never quite acheived that golden era of ultimate glory like a Maley or Stein before him.
No statue for Martin for me but ultimately he doesn't need one as we all know he was a Saint 😉🇮🇪💚😇
Aye this is the same thing for me when I compare the two era's, that fact still remains, Mons team was such a joy on the eye at times, Larsson, Lambert, petrov what a side , it wasn't just that we returned to the European stage it was the manner of it , the teams we beat fair and square, the night we beat juventus big suttons goal and trezeguets goals that game springs to mind, around then you knew, watching a special Celtic side though we went out of the champions league our record at home became something else. CP a European fortress, none got any joy bar the experience of the night.
For a decent stretch we were the "big" clubs bogey team, still are sometimes.
Of course by that I just mean the bigger countries than Scotlands big clubs.
Incredible times for a Tim, I just think that if we're talking about achievement WGS edge's it because he managed to achieve what Mon was trying to , qualify for the knock out stages which he done with another super team.
It was like an inevitable evolution of the club from the Uefa cup final to the champions league, to the knock out stages where we should still be , we all know why we're not, the big fish argument only holds so much water because of the monumental worldwide support, we see our name linked with the biggest in the world regularly because of that and its the reason behind the US tour. Celtic are a moneyspinning club wherever we go in the world the support is out in numbers.
I like to allow myself to believe I will see an ambitious Celtic board again that does pay the rate it can afford to and those signings will propel us back there.
Rodgers hasn't been backed by the board and he's worked wonders to have us in this position going into this game today given all that's happened this season.
If Rodgers pulls of the double this season that would be a remarkable achievement one deserving of financial clout in the next transfer window.
I look at Podence at olympiacos beating villa the other night and just think,
we went for kuhn instead, cheaper though a decent winger but a little bit extra would've brought in a proven player with track record , money talks, I dream nice dreams of Celtic, dreams of 3-1 hearts.
I only dare to dream one game at a time just now HH

Loved MON,but he was limited as a manager,he inherited some of the best players to wear the hoops as well as having a budget I would have loved to see Tommy burns get-yet never got us out the groups, also mcliesh sussed his 3-5-2 and countered it with 4-3-3 -doing a treble with inferior players to us,season after the king left was one bad transfer after the next,wasted a fortune,many good times of course-some of the best memories as a fan,just felt he could have done more-like sign a fkn goalie!
Maybe John Robertson should have the statue instead. He turned up at training. No MON statue for me. WGS did much more whilst fixing the MON financial problems and was an actual coach IMO.

Last edited:
It’s funny but we always talk of great Teams and great managers and phenomenal players
But we’re currently the biggest Club in Scotia thanks to Fergus the Bunnet he came he said this is what I’ll do and he did it and thanks to him we have a financial benefit that deidco don’t.
But MON was a great time and a good manager he gave us some fantastic performances.
Gordon Strachan also was a great manager he did it whilst we were downgrading
But got out of the groups twice
Who can forget the night when The greatest dead ball striker I’ve ever seen Shunsuke Nakamura scored the ball just clearing the Man Utd players hair and into the top corner and then mad mental A Boruc saving a penalty he too gave us great times.
But we need to go back to the past John Thompson great goalkeeper who was accidentally killed in an old firm game
We have a rich past we could embrace that
But in fairness your post has brought back some great games names and matches
Maybe that’s the statue we embrace
Memories
And we lost one of the best recently in David Potter our historian now there’s a good man to remember
Check out the Celtic star for his stories of past glory’s
Good post TB it’s got the Brian juices flowing
Mon the Hoops

HH🍀👏🍀

Chapeau! Excellent post.

We have a wonderful unbroken history and as long we stick together and remain true to our values and traditions we will have a rich and successful future…

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back