Martin O'Neill Appreciation

tommybhoy8881

Few days ago me and my mates had chat about Celtic under Martin then Gordon and the success we had in Europe etc and I said Martin deserves a statue or something like that from Celtic and my mate didn’t agree but I think Martin was our greatest manager since jock and I know he spent a lot of cash but he took over a John barnes Celtic team and our rivals at the time had very strong side so spending money had to happen and he changed our clubs fortunes domestically and in Europe with our success in champions league especially at home and also the uefa cup final and also getting us to the latter rounds of uefa cup a couple of times (knocking out Barcelona etc) he made us the most dominant team in the country and that’s not changed since he left….the amount of Irish that make the trip over is phenomenal but under Martin it was next level and also tours in America we sold out stadiums and outsold Man Utd in one the games against them in the states and i think Martin helped that with his success plus he deserves credit for leaving a successful team in England that won 2 league cups to come to glasgow (these days it’s the opposite sadly)
Probably loads of spelling mistakes in this post 😂 but do you think he deserve a statue or something of that sort? People say Brendan with his first spell in charge was more successful but I don’t think it’s even close between them (Brendan done great but league was not the best back then and circumstances where completely different from when Martin took over)☘️

I would opine that their are others in our unbroken history more deserving than Martin of such an accolade Tommy..

Funnily enough our own Tommy for a start, plenty of others also, I'm certainly not against Martin getting one but he'd not be my first pick.
Tbh your probably right actually ☘️I’m sure Tommy has a plaque but he deserves a statue tbh and as you said we could name another 10 folk who deserve it too sleep pattern is all over the place and I’ve no idea why I even made this thread😂 too much reminiscing at night ☘️

I'm with 50 on this one. Now, I loved the Martin era - it was a very exciting time and, although we didn't realise it at the time, the last time for possibly decades when we could field a team full of very highly rated players. The run to Seville included some of my favourite memories of watching the Celts in action.

But there are many more larger figures more deserving of this honour than MoN. Why has Jimmy McGrory not been recognised? Surely Willie Maley deserves something? In the modern era I'd even argue Fergus was more deserving. There are many more ahead of Martin in our long, rich, unbroken history and I believe he would 100% agree.

I can only base it on my era!!!martin O’Neil was without doubt the best manager we’ve had,up against they cheating cunts across the road he destroyed them ,also made Parkhead a real bear pit for European teams visiting,fucking magic days,,statue???get tae yir bed tommybhoy zzzzzzzzzzz..

I'm with 50 on this one. Now, I loved the Martin era - it was a very exciting time and, although we didn't realise it at the time, the last time for possibly decades when we could field a team full of very highly rated players. The run to Seville included some of my favourite memories of watching the Celts in action.

But there are many more larger figures more deserving of this honour than MoN. Why has Jimmy McGrory not been recognised? Surely Willie Maley deserves something? In the modern era I'd even argue Fergus was more deserving. There are many more ahead of Martin in our long, rich, unbroken history and I believe he would 100% agree.
Willie Maley statue in his hometown is a belter☘️that’s it no more YouTube at night watching the Martin era especially when tired 😂 I will end up wanting the north stand changed name to the Tom boyd stand ☘️😂

I can only base it on my era!!!martin O’Neil was without doubt the best manager we’ve had,up against they cheating cunts across the road he destroyed them ,also made Parkhead a real bear pit for European teams visiting,fucking magic days,,statue???get tae yir bed tommybhoy zzzzzzzzzzz..
Agreed definitely need my bed 😂 thread will be getting deleted and no more logging onto this side when tired 😂

😂I have no idea how to delete this thread 😂☘️anyway Martin was the man ☘️ forget the statue and name the main stand after him ☘️😁
You'd need to ask WC to delete it ( trust my drunken pish threads experience on that one) though this doesn't need deleted it's a fair point.
Personally what WGS achieved with far less money than Mon twice through the group stages and only just losing out in Milan of going further .
That was against champions league sides and some achievement.
So many Celtic hero's, can't have statues for them all, Jimmy Mcgory has a case.

You'd need to ask WC to delete it ( trust my drunken pish threads experience on that one) though this doesn't need deleted it's a fair point.
Personally what WGS achieved with far less money than Mon twice through the group stages and only just losing out in Milan of going further .
That was against champions league sides and some achievement.
So many Celtic hero's, can't have statues for them all, Jimmy Mcgory has a case.
I was at that game in Milan I actually got a bus from just outside ibrox all the way to Italy (Govan emerald) my mate said the same as you but Gordon took over a good Celtic side and our clubs mentality was a winning one but Martin took aver a Celtic that was on its knees to a certain extent ….not saying you you are wrong or I’m right tho as both managers done great (we stopped off in Switzerland in Bern for the night and I remember I spent 95percent of my cash and went to Milan skint 😂)

I was at that game in Milan I actually got a bus from just outside ibrox all the way to Italy (Govan emerald) my mate said the same as you but Gordon took over a good Celtic side and our clubs mentality was a winning one but Martin took aver a Celtic that was on its knees to a certain extent ….not saying you you are wrong or I’m right tho as both managers done great (we stopped off in Switzerland in Bern for the night and I remember I spent 95percent of my cash and went to Milan skint 😂)
Switzerland??wit you spend your cash on chocolate!!!…

Switzerland??wit you spend your cash on chocolate!!!…
😂😂😂yes I didn’t have much haha I’m sure it was £180 for bus hotel and ticket so that was my wage 😂might have been more but I think £180 haha remember stopping at Celtic pub in Coventry and when we all walked in they all stood up applauding us haha and 2 guys went home got passports and came with us and never told there wife’s😂 won’t ever get bus again tho😂☘️

Loved MON,but he was limited as a manager,he inherited some of the best players to wear the hoops as well as having a budget I would have loved to see Tommy burns get-yet never got us out the groups, also mcliesh sussed his 3-5-2 and countered it with 4-3-3 -doing a treble with inferior players to us,season after the king left was one bad transfer after the next,wasted a fortune,many good times of course-some of the best memories as a fan,just felt he could have done more-like sign a fkn goalie!

Loved MON,but he was limited as a manager,he inherited some of the best players to wear the hoops as well as having a budget I would have loved to see Tommy burns get-yet never got us out the groups, also mcliesh sussed his 3-5-2 and countered it with 4-3-3 -doing a treble with inferior players to us,season after the king left was one bad transfer after the next,wasted a fortune,many good times of course-some of the best memories as a fan,just felt he could have done more-like sign a fkn goalie!
Martin had a shit team when he first joined and he got us 9 points a few times in champions league and that is normally enough to get you to last 16 but we where just very unlucky (especially with juve cheating last minute) but I respect your opinion ☘️ also Petrov etc wouldn’t have became the player he was without Martin

It’s funny but we always talk of great Teams and great managers and phenomenal players
But we’re currently the biggest Club in Scotia thanks to Fergus the Bunnet he came he said this is what I’ll do and he did it and thanks to him we have a financial benefit that deidco don’t.
But MON was a great time and a good manager he gave us some fantastic performances.
Gordon Strachan also was a great manager he did it whilst we were downgrading
But got out of the groups twice
Who can forget the night when The greatest dead ball striker I’ve ever seen Shunsuke Nakamura scored the ball just clearing the Man Utd players hair and into the top corner and then mad mental A Boruc saving a penalty he too gave us great times.
But we need to go back to the past John Thompson great goalkeeper who was accidentally killed in an old firm game
We have a rich past we could embrace that
But in fairness your post has brought back some great games names and matches
Maybe that’s the statue we embrace
Memories
And we lost one of the best recently in David Potter our historian now there’s a good man to remember
Check out the Celtic star for his stories of past glory’s
Good post TB it’s got the Brian juices flowing
Mon the Hoops

HH🍀👏🍀

Back