Lost Connection – Green Brigade’s new banner protest

Instead of addressing the clusterphuqs we've been witnessing,2 wins in 11 games,with the pure embarrasment with Ross County,who deservedly won the match,they turn on the Celtic support,due to a protest by some fans, to deflect from the shite we are are witnessing,everyone and their granny can see,this implosion/malaise, whatever,we've no divine right to win games,or 10 in a row,what we do have right to,is to see players giving 100% in every game! we'll build a fence round Celtic park,but hey,the store's open,so yeez can all buy the christmas merch!

Hypocrisy at its finest.....the Support are Celtic.....not the manipulators who go by the name of the Celtic Board.....I can see a revolution coming...

I think Peter Lawwell has set a trap for the Green Brigade with the erection of this fence.....he knows this fence will antagonise them.....and that they will no doubt attempt to breach it.....I also think Police Scotland will be under instructions to wade in.....should this come to pass.....we will be a Club at war with ourselves.....due to our custodians transparent attempts to divert attention away from themselves...

I would urge the Green Brigade to not fall in to this potential trap...

9 in a row, on the verge of an unprecedented quadruple treble, in a stronger financial position than any club in the country but the board and manager are unfit for purpose and must be removed.
Sorry I can't buy that, I'm disappointed, shocked, really can't believe what's going on on the pitch at the moment it's a complete head bender but to demand the removal of the people who have delivered years of success because of weeks of failure doesn't sit well with me.
Lennon has done very little wrong in his long Celtic career and deserves our thanks and respect, to call him unfit for purpose is cruel and ungrateful. The board in my opinion did back him in the summer, Barkas, Ajeti, Duffy, Laxalt etc were hardly bargain basement options, albeit the suitability of some of them can certainly be questioned with hindsight.
In my opinion these protests are an embarrassment to the club and the hun will be pissing themselves at them, just like we pissed ourselves when they produced bed sheets with we deserve better, wrongly spelled scrolled upon them.
Support, togetherness and unity is the way forward and will always be stronger than the alternatives.

I know, I'm unusual it's a cross I have to bare. HH
You are not alone
Hail Hail

My concerns with respect to governance and management at Celtic plc are long-standing. Specifically, the board’s and CEO’s:

• silence regarding the illegal use of EBTs by the liquidated club;
  • acquiescence to the 5 Way Agreement;
  • tacit acceptance of the continuation myth;
  • acceptance of the outcomes of the flawed Lord Nimmo-Smith commission;
  • obfuscation, delays and lies regarding Resolution 12;
  • failure to act on the ongoing financial irregularities of the tribute act; and
  • failure to act on the institutionalised corruption of the Scottish football authorities.
It seems there is no corruption or financial crime serious enough to which the Celtic board and CEO will not turn a blind eye for their “Old Firm” friends.

Their policy of not using the term “the Old Firm” is fooling no one. It is very clear the Celtic plc business model depends on “the Old Firm” remaining alive. The craven acquiescence to (and facilitation of?) the above and more is now coming home to roost and affecting results on the park.

A blind eye was turned to the involvement in Scottish football of a convicted fraudster for how many years. At what other club would this have been accepted by the SFA and the other member clubs? The latest financial statements of RIFC cast serious doubt if that club/company is a going concern. Despite the disclosure that they have offers extant from two directors to cover forecast cash shortfalls of £23.2m “as necessary”, the financial statements further disclose explicitly there is no binding debt facility in place as at 17 November 2020, the date the financial statements and audit opinion were signed. Information should be sought on the ultimate sources of the directors’ and other loans. There is a proven track record of proceeds of crime being invested in that organisation by a convicted South African criminal.

Based on the publicly available information in the 2019-20 RIFC financial statements, in my professional opinion there is genuine reason to be sceptical about why the audit opinion did not include a qualification on the basis that the company is NOT a going concern. [Disclosure: I am a Company Auditor and Chartered Accountant with over 38 years’ experience.]

Celtic could easily commission professional advice that would reach a similar conclusion and demand further forensic investigation. So why don’t they?

Why are the Celtic board so unwilling to insist on a level playing field for all clubs?

If Celtic are unwilling to act on any of the above, they must be forced to by Celtic supporters. And as minority shareholders who hold no voting power, only financial sanctions, I believe, will be effective in doing this.

The board and CEO have done just enough and no more to stay ahead domestically, with the notable exception of the appointment of Brendan Rodgers. Even his short 33-month tenure was corrupted and disrupted by a CEO who is an unqualified, de facto Director of Football, supported by a compliant board. They have achieved very little for years to assist any progression in Europe or to move to a competition outside Scotland.

Who among us wants our club’s very existence to be dependent on a rivalry with bigots, cheats and criminals?

Governance at Celtic has failed in the last decade or so. The current board has morphed into the same cosy, group-think set-up that characterised the pre-1994 board. Any external criticism is verboten and rejected outright. Just keep buying season tickets and merchandise and shut up!

Renewal and regeneration are required to bring fresh, modern thinking and strategies to the board and management; and, most importantly, knowledge of the global football environment in the 2020s. How many of the current board know how a contemporary, professional sporting organisation with a global footprint should be positioned and run?

Good corporate governance includes succession planning and a healthy level of turnover in board and CEO positions, with recruitment of those with contemporary and complementary skill-sets relevant to the sector, not the complacency, hubris and stagnation that allows the same people to hold the same roles for decades.

For the vast majority of us, Celtic is an emotional investment. We want our club to be able to compete on a level playing field. We play by the rules, so we should insist others are forced to do the same and are held fully accountable when they do not.

We need these messages to be conveyed strongly and clearly to the board and CEO; and if they continue to refuse to act, they need to face financial sanctions.

Potential financial sanctions:

• Mass requests for refunds of season tickets for games not played in the 2019-20 season
  • Mass cancellations of direct debits for 2020-21 season tickets
  • A boycott of Celtic stores
  • Lobbying of corporate sponsors to withdraw in lieu of a boycott of their products
All of these measures will be seen as controversial by some and will be financially harmful to Celtic in the short-term, of that there can be no doubt; but for far too long these issues have been ignored by the current board and CEO.

Regrettably, if they will not listen to the people who are Celtic football club, in my opinion we need to communicate with them in the only language they understand – a financial one.

My concerns with respect to governance and management at Celtic plc are long-standing. Specifically, the board’s and CEO’s:

• failure to act on the ongoing financial irregularities of the tribute act; and
  • failure to act on the institutionalised corruption of the Scottish football authorities.
It seems there is no corruption or financial crime serious enough to which the Celtic board and CEO will not turn a blind eye for their “Old Firm” friends.

Their policy of not using the term “the Old Firm” is fooling no one. It is very clear the Celtic plc business model depends on “the Old Firm” remaining alive. The craven acquiescence to (and facilitation of?) the above and more is now coming home to roost and affecting results on the park.

A blind eye was turned to the involvement in Scottish football of a convicted fraudster for how many years. At what other club would this have been accepted by the SFA and the other member clubs? The latest financial statements of RIFC cast serious doubt if that club/company is a going concern. Despite the disclosure that they have offers extant from two directors to cover forecast cash shortfalls of £23.2m “as necessary”, the financial statements further disclose explicitly there is no binding debt facility in place as at 17 November 2020, the date the financial statements and audit opinion were signed. Information should be sought on the ultimate sources of the directors’ and other loans. There is a proven track record of proceeds of crime being invested in that organisation by a convicted South African criminal.

Based on the publicly available information in the 2019-20 RIFC financial statements, in my professional opinion there is genuine reason to be sceptical about why the audit opinion did not include a qualification on the basis that the company is NOT a going concern. [Disclosure: I am a Company Auditor and Chartered Accountant with over 38 years’ experience.]

Celtic could easily commission professional advice that would reach a similar conclusion and demand further forensic investigation. So why don’t they?

Why are the Celtic board so unwilling to insist on a level playing field for all clubs?

If Celtic are unwilling to act on any of the above, they must be forced to by Celtic supporters. And as minority shareholders who hold no voting power, only financial sanctions, I believe, will be effective in doing this.

The board and CEO have done just enough and no more to stay ahead domestically, with the notable exception of the appointment of Brendan Rodgers. Even his short 33-month tenure was corrupted and disrupted by a CEO who is an unqualified, de facto Director of Football, supported by a compliant board. They have achieved very little for years to assist any progression in Europe or to move to a competition outside Scotland.

Who among us wants our club’s very existence to be dependent on a rivalry with bigots, cheats and criminals?

Governance at Celtic has failed in the last decade or so. The current board has morphed into the same cosy, group-think set-up that characterised the pre-1994 board. Any external criticism is verboten and rejected outright. Just keep buying season tickets and merchandise and shut up!

Renewal and regeneration are required to bring fresh, modern thinking and strategies to the board and management; and, most importantly, knowledge of the global football environment in the 2020s. How many of the current board know how a contemporary, professional sporting organisation with a global footprint should be positioned and run?

Good corporate governance includes succession planning and a healthy level of turnover in board and CEO positions, with recruitment of those with contemporary and complementary skill-sets relevant to the sector, not the complacency, hubris and stagnation that allows the same people to hold the same roles for decades.

For the vast majority of us, Celtic is an emotional investment. We want our club to be able to compete on a level playing field. We play by the rules, so we should insist others are forced to do the same and are held fully accountable when they do not.

We need these messages to be conveyed strongly and clearly to the board and CEO; and if they continue to refuse to act, they need to face financial sanctions.

• Mass requests for refunds of season tickets for games not played in the 2019-20 season
  • Lobbying of corporate sponsors to withdraw in lieu of a boycott of their products
All of these measures will be seen as controversial by some and will be financially harmful to Celtic in the short-term, of that there can be no doubt; but for far too long these issues have been ignored by the current board and CEO.

Regrettably, if they will not listen to the people who are Celtic football club, in my opinion we need to communicate with them in the only language they understand – a financial one.
Welcome Contra. What a hell of a second post. Absolutely bang on the money. And don't be surprised if you get a tap on the shoulder from Winning Captains to say he wants to put this excellent post up on the Celtic Star as an article. It is essential that these issues get addressed soon before Lawwell does further damage to our beloved club.

Excellent summation of the position vis-a-vis the Celtic Board and their culpability in :

a) the present malaise at the Club , and

b) the failure to insert wooden stake into the heart of the Zombie Klub .

Well said !

HH

Well said!

I think you could have added the side letters issue which was in clear violation of SFA rules and which should have seen a 3 point deduction applied to every game relevant. Also ignored by the Celtic Board...

Contra
Welcome.
An excellent forensically sound article.
However I fear that the issues you raise of corporate governance, level playing field rules and even Res 12, while all solid business issues, are not in my opinion really on the priority list of most supporters.
If you differentiate the corporate from the football most look to have football success, doing little to connect the direct relationship of business success to football success.
We have won 11 trophies in a row with a quadruple treble nearly there.if we were having this debate with Celtic leading the league by 11 points then the kicking of Lawwell, the Board and DD would gain not a great deal of traction. As it is you are shooting into an empty net. Blame has to be attributed for failure and supporters are quick to forget.
You make some good points but the one I would highlight as a key is succession. Specifically DD.
The South African is currently looking to shaft the gullible in govan, as its his only financial exit, but surely DD should look to create a vehicle for supporter ownership for his own succession?
Anyway supportive of much that you write but think to assess the whole picture you have to balance the valid criticism with the football results. Are they really doing such a bad job?
As a final thought on level playing fields are PSG and Manchester City playing to the rules? And if the ranjurs are playing to the rules you and I can see from their accounts it is simply not sustainable, the board there don't have the deep pockets of the middle eastern owners.
Anyway enjoy the Noise, apart from some obvious trolls I think there are a lot of good bhoys and girls on here
HH

Contra
Welcome.
An excellent forensically sound article.
However I fear that the issues you raise of corporate governance, level playing field rules and even Res 12, while all solid business issues, are not in my opinion really on the priority list of most supporters.
If you differentiate the corporate from the football most look to have football success, doing little to connect the direct relationship of business success to football success.
We have won 11 trophies in a row with a quadruple treble nearly there.if we were having this debate with Celtic leading the league by 11 points then the kicking of Lawwell, the Board and DD would gain not a great deal of traction. As it is you are shooting into an empty net. Blame has to be attributed for failure and supporters are quick to forget.
You make some good points but the one I would highlight as a key is succession. Specifically DD.
The South African is currently looking to shaft the gullible in govan, as its his only financial exit, but surely DD should look to create a vehicle for supporter ownership for his own succession?
Anyway supportive of much that you write but think to assess the whole picture you have to balance the valid criticism with the football results. Are they really doing such a bad job?
As a final thought on level playing fields are PSG and Manchester City playing to the rules? And if the ranjurs are playing to the rules you and I can see from their accounts it is simply not sustainable, the board there don't have the deep pockets of the middle eastern owners.
Anyway enjoy the Noise, apart from some obvious trolls I think there are a lot of good bhoys and girls on here
HH
(y)

Nailed it. (y)

Latest posts

Back