European super leagues incoming next season . League reconstruction required ASAP

Winter

Scottish clubs are about to face 10 different European clubs in European competition over 3 divisions.
Celtic will be in the Premier division upon being this seasons champions perhaps therangers will too of that I'm unsure but 5 home 5 away games for each division.
We won't face the same club twice.

European Premier = Champions league
European Championship= Europa league
European First division = Conference league

This will replace ( next seasons ) champions league, Europa league and Conference league as we know it

In line with this I believe its time that Scottish football expanded our top flight to 16 clubs.

That's the current 12 plus 4 from tbe championship let's say for imagination sake 13. Dundee United 14.Partick Thistle 15. Inverness and lastly 16.Quee...( kidding on greenock punters, kidding on) 16.Morton

This will give us 15 home and 15 away games in a regular season with an even split of the top and bottom 8 playing another 7 ties to play for the 3 European divisions.

It will mean 37 games not 38 but still have the league cup , Scottish cup and 4 extra group games in Europe will make up for that.

Our game is stale this would change that to a maximum of facing some clubs 3 times a season.

It should also allow our B sides to step up a level from lowland league along with some other lowland sides and some from Highland league .

I propose a 16 club Premier league, 16 club Champioship and 16 club First Division , allowing entry for 6 new clubs to the system obviously but intended to mirror the changes we're about to see so we aren't left even further behind and have tbe opportunity to better market our game worldwide.

Would you the jury like to see this or have you a better less flawed plan than mine.
There's one condition Doncaster is sent to the Saudi league to lend his expertise to the other spl so he can mess that up like has this one.
As long as we get rid of him I've no problems with tweaks to this but he must go.

I know we've been here before but we're in danger of falling even further behind and whilst the European game is changing I believe so should ours.

Answers on a postcard to.....no just post how you'd rather see it , is this good enough idea or a terrible idea?

Would you see it bigger than 16 say 18? Or smaller 14?

Thoughts noisers?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that our current league set-up is built upon the notion of quality, mate.......I think it's to ensure that there are 19 days of match day revenue to factor into the accounts.

Of anything, I feel that if the Scottish top flight was to expand, then we (and them) will be looking ay 20-teams in order to keep those 19 home games.

That might not be so much of an issue if the League Cup was scrapped, but because of the cultural significance associated with 'the treble', Scotland is one of only two countries where anyone gives a monkeys about a third domestic competition.

I agree that the league is stale and needs a significant revamp, but I'm not entirely sure that it would be based on a meritocratic system. Safety certs and stadia will likely determine who features in a top league of 20. Falkirk, Dunfermline and Airdrie all get an immediate bump based on that criteria alone.

Interesting question, but not one with an easy solution

Looks like a decent proposal Winter as continuing in current format is not gonna get any better.
I'm sure there are many permutations that have been put through the debating wringer without getting voted through as every club have different invested interests and it is this that will always hold us back imo.

Other points for me ...Ditch the split I've never liked it ...keep the play offs.

Whilst Sky continue to offer the pittance for our live games we should be allowing clubs to stream half a dozen games live each outwith sky to bring in extra income as a starting point.

Free ticket allocations for schools for the B team and women's games...would push alot of the parents to go and generate interest.

Nominate two players per season from B team available for loan to other SPFL clubs to give them experience and exposure and keep them in the Scottish game. Otherwise they just won't develop.

Throw out plastic pitches and insist on grass.

Agree increased minimum allocation for away supports as currently killing atmosphere and denying supporters the right to watch their club.

Just a few things that might just help....but of course it's the SPFL... if it affects the huns it won't happen.

I've long been an advocate of a 16 team top league. It means less midweek games, no split and cuts back on playing the same sides up to 6 times in the same is boring for fans & players alike.

I would have a Championship of 16 clubs too. Then I'd go for 3 or 4 regional leagues of 16 with leagues feeding into them. This means the smaller clubs have more detbies and have smaller travel costs & higher attendances. Also, if a businessman wants to invest in a local club (e.g. Darvel) then they are only potentially 2 years away from the top league, so it would freshen things up and encourage growth across all levels of football.

To pacify Sky who are desperate for "Old Firm" (R.I.P.) matches, have a Glasgow Derby at alternating venues at New Year for a trophy. You could have a festival of football at the Festive period showing an Edinburgh Derby Cup, Dundee Cup, Ayr v Killie, St Johnstone v Angus Club Select, Raith v Dunfermilne, Aberdeen v Highland League select, ICT v Ross County, etc, etc. All live on tv.

The reason Doncaster must go in this scenario and real life is that all he's done is oversaw the stagnation of our game.

CEOs are supposed bring forward thinking people into the game and push forward new ideas etc .

This thread isn't about Doncaster but I think he's due one , a serious one that highlights his inadequacies as the head of the game here.

What has Doncaster done for Scottish football?
Im open to hearing that if anyone knows.
VAR implementation wasn't his idea.

He's held our game back , undersold it for personal profit.

All of that said , those boardrooms here may well have utter dumplings to be extremely polite but as business acumen goes they are not fools.
There has to be some underhand goings on imo for all our clubs boards to agree to the pittance of the latest sky ' deal' which is less than a deal we have had before or offered before , name of the broadcaster escapes me at present.

Does anybody really believe that Doncaster alone is the only one who is getting top dollar for cowboy standard work?

Something else is going on behind the scenes for this to be happening though this as I said isn't about Doncaster per say, though perhaps someone else could start a thread looking in detail at what he has brought to our game?

Has the footballing world just changed forever? UEFA and FIFA would stand to lose too much money if their monopolies are illegal so expect this to get very nasty as they fight dirty to keep their greedy place on the gravy trains.

Has the footballing world just changed forever? UEFA and FIFA would stand to lose too much money if their monopolies are illegal so expect this to get very nasty as they fight dirty to keep their greedy place on the gravy trains.

Bridie, as much as I'd love to see UEFA get pumped ( metaphorically speaking of course ( weirdo 🙄)) they won't lose out if anything they'll they'll earn more if anything they'll os my guess

Last edited:
Back