champions league

Thought i'd stick my nose in for this to remind a few points.
No 1. its not the CHAMPIONS league. as a lot of teams involved didnt win their leagues. ( They should be done for breaching the trades description act).
No 2. Only Foden actually comes from Manchester.
No 3. They didnt come from behind against Inter.
No 4. We won 5 trophies in the same season.

Fuck Oasis.
Me too prefer Pepsi

HH 😉

After West Ham’s result last night it looks like England and either Germany or Italy will have 5 teams in the champions league its a fucking joke and pretty soon the winners in Scotland will need to qualify just to reach the tournament…we need ALL Scottish teams especially Celtic to start getting results in Europe before the gap with us and teams Europe get even bigger….be good to see 2 Scottish teams in champions league preferably us and not the huns but that won’t happen so it will be them and also team that finishes 3rd for europa group and 4th conference group Will be hard to attract players from Swedish league if things don’t get better in the next 10 years (uefa are a joke)

After West Ham’s result last night it looks like England and either Germany or Italy will have 5 teams in the champions league its a fucking joke and pretty soon the winners in Scotland will need to qualify just to reach the tournament…we need ALL Scottish teams especially Celtic to start getting results in Europe before the gap with us and teams Europe get even bigger….be good to see 2 Scottish teams in champions league preferably us and not the huns but that won’t happen so it will be them and also team that finishes 3rd for europa group and 4th conference group Will be hard to attract players from Swedish league if things don’t get better in the next 10 years (uefa are a joke)
Am afraid our whole game and attitude in Scotland needs to change tommy,or your absolutely right we will be no better than the welsh league!!the bowling club (whit school did you go to)attitude and our acceptance of it is a massive hold back..and our clubs lack of proper game plan for the future,we shouldn’t be buying young guys from other countries to nurture to sell on??we should be using the young boys of our own club set up to bring on to first team then if ready move on!!this also applies to the other clubs in Scotland ??we are in this shit position due to the whole Scottish mind set…

Am afraid our whole game and attitude in Scotland needs to change tommy,or your absolutely right we will be no better than the welsh league!!the bowling club (whit school did you go to)attitude and our acceptance of it is a massive hold back..and our clubs lack of proper game plan for the future,we shouldn’t be buying young guys from other countries to nurture to sell on??we should be using the young boys of our own club set up to bring on to first team then if ready move on!!this also applies to the other clubs in Scotland ??we are in this shit position due to the whole Scottish mind set…
Yes definitely mate tbh hearts and Aberdeen did ok in the conference and won a few games and had big crowds for they games and I hope hearts do great next season in that competition too...I definitely don't want rangers to win a European trophy but at least making it to the group stage and it would be good to know that even if we did finish 2nd you still had the champions league cash the following season...we moan the Scottish league is shit etc but having successful teams in Europe for the money etc is only way to fix it and as you said our club needs proper game plan too

Watched the Villa v Ajax game and can't believe how rotten Ajax look at the momen.Fair play to Emery though he's a very good manager.

We need Victoria plzen to lose both games in next round of europa league (if they draw one game we are fucked) hopefully fiorentina beat them or Celtic lose our automatic champ league spot for winning league 24/25 (wouldn’t affect rangers they would probably still get group stage with points they have gained)
Also
As it stands, Scotland will start next season in 16th spot, meaning only one Scottish club would be able to take part in the Champions League for the 2026/27 campaign. They would enter at the second qualifying round, instead of earning an automatic group-stage spot and qualifying spot….
As I said we need all Scottish sides to pull there weight in Europe
It gets even more complicated in a year or 2 for our teams that finish 3rd and 4th (we desperately need 3rd place to have that guaranteed conference group place) as it’s good for the league

Last edited:
I think European football is actually losing its appeal. OK so we get a few million quid for being cannon fodder for the Saudi owned 'big boys' of Europe. Fuck em. Its bribery.
They have proved they can get round the so called Financial Fair (joke) Play rules by hiring the best Accountants, lawyers, money can buy. just look at the team Man City have got and you tell me its a level playing field?
The only way to beat these lot is to pull out. let them have their 'Super League' it will be a borefest when they take away the element of competition with no relegation.
Instead the so called cannon fodder should form their own European Competition on the basis of merit. It might struggle at first but eventually people will tune in to see REAL sport. IMO.

I think European football is actually losing its appeal. OK so we get a few million quid for being cannon fodder for the Saudi owned 'big boys' of Europe. Fuck em. Its bribery.
They have proved they can get round the so called Financial Fair (joke) Play rules by hiring the best Accountants, lawyers, money can buy. just look at the team Man City have got and you tell me its a level playing field?
The only way to beat these lot is to pull out. let them have their 'Super League' it will be a borefest when they take away the element of competition with no relegation.
Instead the so called cannon fodder should form their own European Competition on the basis of merit. It might struggle at first but eventually people will tune in to see REAL sport. IMO.
Great post Brim....there is it so much wrong with the qualifying process and the tournament itself that our or any Scottish teams participation is of no consequence in any case other than extra dosh to win domestic trophies as it stands.
The complication of qualifying is a farce when it comes to the so called Champions League as we all know.
There's no hiding the fact that we have been poor but to be honest we are set up to fail not only by our own standards but by the hierarchy that feather their own nests at Uefa who curry favour with the clubs that carry multi millions in debt and yet get continuously rewarded. I simply dont watch the CL or the EPL for that matter Celtic aside of course. Fair play my arse.
Rip it up and start again.

Yes uefa are corrupt and the tournament is a farce I'm not a fan of it either but Celtic need it sadly if we didn't have it then not many players would want to join Celtic in the Scottish league and our fan base worldwide would possibly take a hit (especially the younger generation who have a hardon for Europe) thats why European games are a complete sell out ...remember our stadium under Ronny it would go back to that if we had no Europe ..only way it would work would be if nations like Holland etc told uefa to FxxK off too and we started our own tournament (tbh the I think the conference league has been great and probably the best thing uefa has done in years especially for the so called smaller clubs)

Yes uefa are corrupt and the tournament is a farce I'm not a fan of it either but Celtic need it sadly if we didn't have it then not many players would want to join Celtic in the Scottish league and our fan base worldwide would possibly take a hit (especially the younger generation who have a hardon for Europe) thats why European games are a complete sell out ...remember our stadium under Ronny it would go back to that if we had no Europe ..only way it would work would be if nations like Holland etc told uefa to FxxK off too and we started our own tournament (tbh the I think the conference league has been great and probably the best thing uefa has done in years especially for the so called smaller clubs)
I agree TB, UEFA is as corrupt as it ever was under Platini (and FIFA under Blatter). The FFP rules are a joke and easily swerved by these mega rich clubs. I believe its time to go a lot further.
Limit squad size.
A maximum wage cap.
Limited number of transfers per window not to exceed your squad, ie 1 in 1 out.
At least 50& of the team to be home nationals.
Rule breaking, or even bending, to be punished by point deductions, transfer bans and ultimately season long bans from European competition.7
Here endeth the sermon. :)

I agree TB, UEFA is as corrupt as it ever was under Platini (and FIFA under Blatter). The FFP rules are a joke and easily swerved by these mega rich clubs. I believe its time to go a lot further.
Limit squad size.
A maximum wage cap.
Limited number of transfers per window not to exceed your squad, ie 1 in 1 out.
At least 50& of the team to be home nationals.
Rule breaking, or even bending, to be punished by point deductions, transfer bans and ultimately season long bans from European competition.7
Here endeth the sermon. :)
It’s a complete joke that 5 English clubs and possibly 5 Italian clubs will be in champions league next season tbh I prefer the europa league but that’s just as bad too ….hope one day Scotland Portugal Holland Belgium Denmark etc all tell uefa to change or we are setting up our own tournament….it looks like very soon the winners in Scotland will start in the second round qualifiers and that’s a joke (we haven’t helped tho as we have been beat over the years off some shit teams too in Europe with smaller budget than ours) anyway fuck it let’s just get top today ☘️

I agree with you on all that Esp , just the bit at the end , it's not only the Scottish mindset but it's the Czechs, Danes and all the other nations with genuinely big clubs who are just happy for the handouts.
Scottish football's mind set all wrong yes but not the only ones who are arse about elbow on this.
Still like to see a clear out at mount florida

It’s a complete joke that 5 English clubs and possibly 5 Italian clubs will be in champions league next season tbh I prefer the europa league but that’s just as bad too ….hope one day Scotland Portugal Holland Belgium Denmark etc all tell uefa to change or we are setting up our own tournament….it looks like very soon the winners in Scotland will start in the second round qualifiers and that’s a joke (we haven’t helped tho as we have been beat over the years off some shit teams too in Europe with smaller budget than ours) anyway fuck it let’s just get top today ☘️
And we all know what happens if we need to go through the qualifers again. In non-tournament summers, players playing UEFA internationals (practically no friendlies these days) into the middle of June, then kicking off qualifiers fairly early in July with players being lucky to get 1 or 2 weeks recuperation before going full tilt again. In tournament summers then we could be missing our best players again until AFTER these vital matches have started.

As we are grouped with Scandinavians then usually ths is when they are at their peak as they are about a third of the way into their league season.

Of course, with no guaranteed group stage revenue, Celtic refuse to invest in better quality players (actually just the same as when it was guaranteed 🤬) so we deliberately handicap ourselves in these crucial must-win ties.

I've been banging the drum for years now, but get together with the cream of Dutch, Belgian, Danish & Scandinavians to have our own league. We might even let in the Portuguese too if occoD promises not to embaress himself again by fawning all over Brendan Rodgers again!

I agree with you on all that Esp , just the bit at the end , it's not only the Scottish mindset but it's the Czechs, Danes and all the other nations with genuinely big clubs who are just happy for the handouts.
Scottish football's mind set all wrong yes but not the only ones who are arse about elbow on this.
Still like to see a clear out at mount florida
Aye your right winter about the Czechs,danish,and others just being accepting of their master’s minuscule handouts,probably don’t want to rock the boat,,a was more about the stupid bias against our club/religion/Irish heritage?..this shite should be swept into the gutter were it belongs,my personal feelings are the sfa hamstring us every season when the ((computer))🤣selects the league fixtures..we always seem to be away on a Saturday morning after European match to aberdeen,Ross coonty,,or caley thistle when they were up??hunz ??3 o’clock Saturday !!or we would have cunts booting seven shades a shit out us before euro games??no protection!!the hunz song no one likes us we don’t care!!That should be oor song!!

Aye your right winter about the Czechs,danish,and others just being accepting of their master’s minuscule handouts,probably don’t want to rock the boat,,a was more about the stupid bias against our club/religion/Irish heritage?..this shite should be swept into the gutter were it belongs,my personal feelings are the sfa hamstring us every season when the ((computer))🤣selects the league fixtures..we always seem to be away on a Saturday morning after European match to aberdeen,Ross coonty,,or caley thistle when they were up??hunz ??3 o’clock Saturday !!or we would have cunts booting seven shades a shit out us before euro games??no protection!!the hunz song no one likes us we don’t care!!That should be oor song!!
Yip, except we do care about our image , none more so than the board of money collectors. The GBs Palestinian support and wider Celtic support will not have gone down well but I'm sure the £10 million pocketed for a £20 million player will keep them happy.

It is surprising that the BBC never threw in a comment about Viktoria Plzen having the second worst Champions League group stage performance ever (and it won't change now that this format has been binned).

I wonder why???

2024-03-16-21-27-07-771.jpg

Received this from a reader on The Celtic Star...our top priority should be to return to being competitive on the European stage. Tom Grant talked about this too in his interview with Tino on Celtic Exchange. Until those currently in the boardroom start thinking the same way then we're only going to get more of the same.

Received this from a reader on The Celtic Star...our top priority should be to return to being competitive on the European stage. Tom Grant talked about this too in his interview with Tino on Celtic Exchange. Until those currently in the boardroom start thinking the same way then we're only going to get more of the same.

Is something else that there was 75,000 at Celtic Park and 80,000 at ipox on the same night

Back