BBC sportsound

So you would rate Clarke a better manager than Rodgers?
It looks to me that he may well be. He has a far less able, less costly squad and look what he has done. Put BR at Kilmarnock and SC at Celtic and I think we would have won 8 already. Obviously it is hypothetical and there is always the question that SC wouldn't have come up with an invincible treble and another treble to follow up but we'll never know that.

It looks to me that he may well be. He has a far less able, less costly squad and look what he has done. Put BR at Kilmarnock and SC at Celtic and I think we would have won 8 already. Obviously it is hypothetical and there is always the question that SC wouldn't have come up with an invincible treble and another treble to follow up but we'll never know that.

He is good manager BUT a fair bit of Killie's success is playing on their AstroTurf pitch

Not saying it's entirely down to that but every advantage helps
HH?

Stevie Clark has worked under some great names,!that will without doubt rub off on him,personally I would have no qualms about him managing us,,he would do well with our players, maybe not so ‘open’ as BR in some games, by that mean bit more weary in Europe, only my thoughts ,hh
It would certainly be interesting to see how an SC Celtic squad fared in European competitions. He may not have managed in them himself but I think he would be a lot more willing to adjust his formations and tactics to get the job done just like WGS and Lenny were.

So you would rate Clarke a better manager than Rodgers?
In a perfect world, we would have the two of them working together in a managerial and coaching capacity.

SC definitely knows how to set up a defence and Kilmarnock defend the basics very well. Even when we gave them 5, there were no real "gimmes" in terms of goals and it would largely depend on if BR's ego can take having that type of personality alongside him.

SC probably knows that an EPL or major championship job is out of his grasp and he would be number 1 choice in the line of succession should BR choose to move on.

In a perfect world, we would have the two of them working together in a managerial and coaching capacity.

SC definitely knows how to set up a defence and Kilmarnock defend the basics very well. Even when we gave them 5, there were no real "gimmes" in terms of goals and it would largely depend on if BR's ego can take having that type of personality alongside him.

SC probably knows that an EPL or major championship job is out of his grasp and he would be number 1 choice in the line of succession should BR choose to move on.
The only problem i could see in this is you can defend and defend but good teams if you let them come at you will eventually break through as celtic did, therefore sometimes it is due to our attacking skills that sometimes see us beat in Europe but not often humilated, imagine standing off really good teams by defending and allowing pressure after pressure. By having an attacking option and players who can hurt you means other teams also respect us and will make sure they have cover.

Its a hard balance, defend/attack. Clarke has managed to get a good defensive system on a budget. In europe i'm sure they would get found out, but with better players maybe he could remedy the self destruct we seem to have. we have the speed of attack , a solid defence at a higher level and a striking force .. more used to playing a full game should see us kick on

The only problem i could see in this is you can defend and defend but good teams if you let them come at you will eventually break through as celtic did, therefore sometimes it is due to our attacking skills that sometimes see us beat in Europe but not often humilated, imagine standing off really good teams by defending and allowing pressure after pressure. By having an attacking option and players who can hurt you means other teams also respect us and will make sure they have cover.
It's more about getting the balance just right. Great Celtic teams have always been set-up and able to defend when necessary, but the emphasis should always be on asking the opponents relevant questions.

Our current crop of defenders aren't bad players, they just get caught ball watching, going walkabout, and switching off at key-times.

Coaching goes a long, long way towards eliminating that, I just feel that BR is a bit blinded by total football and maybe forgets to emphasise that practical football works on occasion too.

SC is pragmatic and practical, but I wouldn't place my mortgage on his ability to unpick a packed defence from an attacking perspective. I think the two together would benefit from each other and learn new elements of the game.

It's more about getting the balance just right. Great Celtic teams have always been set-up and able to defend when necessary, but the emphasis should always be on asking the opponents relevant questions.

Our current crop of defenders aren't bad players, they just get caught ball watching, going walkabout, and switching off at key-times.

Coaching goes a long, long way towards eliminating that, I just feel that BR is a bit blinded by total football and maybe forgets to emphasise that practical football works on occasion too.

SC is pragmatic and practical, but I wouldn't place my mortgage on his ability to unpick a packed defence from an attacking perspective. I think the two together would benefit from each other and learn new elements of the game.
Interesting that both have been at the same club in their travels if only we could have their pal in the middle as well for hisgettyimages-870188804-612x612.jpg European contacts

Interesting that both have been at the same club in their travels if only we could have their pal in the middle as well for hisView attachment 1502 European contacts
Aww come on, Boab........that's the natural successor to sliproad gump!

Squinty will find 150k p/w for Jose and another £60,000,000 (is that 7 or 8 zeroes?) to fund the going for 1 campaign!

With a better group of players SC would have a formidable team
outside of Celtic ,he would be a perfect manager for the sheep

With a better group of players SC would have a formidable team
outside of Celtic ,he would be a perfect manager for the sheep
I think he'd be tempted by a coaching role, Kelly. He doesn't appear to like being front and centre with the media and the players at his previous clubs talk well of him.

Killie players are busting a gut for him, so he seems like a players man. If he had even the sheep's resources, then they would be our closest challengers easily ahead of the huns.

It's never going to happen, but it's an interesting premise.

shug 19th February 2019 at 16:08

So much for killie players being in danger.
KILMARNOCK midfielder Rory McKenzie has broken ranks with his club captain Kris Boyd and club owner Billy Bowie by stating that the Celtic supporters who came onto the pitch after Scott Brown’s 91st minute goal at Rugby Park on Sunday did NOT put the Killie players’ safety at risk.
The Killie star admitted that there was no malice involved, stated that it was mostly youngsters and said that they were mostly interested in getting a selfie with one of their Hoops heroes.
“Obviously conceding a goal that late wasn’t nice and then to have Celtic fans on in your face wasn’t nice as well,” McKenzie stated today to the media.
“The few that come in, there was no malice in it at all, most of them that I saw were young kids.
“To be fair they had their phones out. I think they were just trying to get pictures, there was no badness.

Back