50th ANNIVERSARY OF THE IBROX DISASTER

Fisiani

I was at the game with my father and when the final whistle blew we headed to the exit and walked back to the Whiteinch supporters bus. It had been a draw. The bus was in a long line of buses.
We waited and waited and waited..........for about 30 minutes. No idea what had happened.
Back home my mother heard the dreadful news.............the bus had not returned. Where were we?
We arrived home and my mother gave us the biggest hug ever. She had imagined we were both dead.
That's when we learned what had happened.

Last edited:
Similar to me Fis, got back to my wee da's car and heard on the radio... We had to find a phone box and phone to let mum know we were okay as we weren't heading straight home, joined a que in PRW for one, the other problem was we didn't have a house phone 🙈, so had to phone our neighbours a few closes away, wee Mrs Murphy and ask her to send word that we were OK.

Rip the souls who departed that day..

I was also at that game and still remember Colin steins goal going in at our end of the pitch
I didn’t know anything about it until I decided to get off at Greenock central and went to my granny’s for my tea
The news came on first thing and it showed Ibrox
I was up and out the door and raced home as I knew my folks would be worried because they didn’t say which end it was at
Unbeknownst to me my mates showed up at our house and told my Mum and Dad about the disaster and saying to them isn’t he home yet ? Put the news on
I made it home in record time and my Mum collapsed in my arms as I burst through the door
Will never forget that tragic day
There was a wee boy from Greenock, George Wilson from Gibbshill, killed in the crush that day,
The whole town was gutted by the loss of life at a game
Puts things into perspective
HH

Last edited:
Back