Walter Smith RIP

I was an apprentice electrician in the late seventies for Lowden Bros Dundee and Walter was an armature motor winder with us at the same time.
We met him every day either in the machine loading bay or the Kingsway technical college and he often barked out orders to me and the other laddies at the time.
He also played for Dundee Utd under Jim McLean and if I wore my Celtic scarf especially after the
New Year's Old Firm game and 'they' got beat as in 1977 (Celtic 2 Them 0) he used to look for me and his boss Frankie M also a Celt to give us verbals...amongst other things!!

That was a hellish, cold, cold winter this side of the country.

He often punched me in the back of the head with a smile on his face while doing it.
On more than one occasion he grabbed my scarf and spat on it.
I was 16 and he was about 10-12 years older I think.
I had a horrible, terrible time with him back then.
I sometimes didn't want to go in to college and thought of rapping my apprenticeship.
If not for Hamish McAlpine, Kenny Cameron or Dennis Gillespie I probably would have.

There is a plethora of things he did and called me but judging by the guys and sympathies on here and your comments, its not something you probably would like to hear just now.... no-matter if is all true and witnessed by lots of other apprentices around me at that time.
I have already said as much on other platforms 7 or eight years ago.
I would disclose if that's what you want, otherwise I'll keep my counsel for now....
I was at Kingsway Tech in 1981 doing a Motor Vehicle Maintenance course on the YOP. We played header tennis on a Friday afternoon in the Gym with Hamish McAlpine and Bobby Glennie. Your post brought all the memories back. Sorry to hear people made your time at college a nightmare. HH JC

Sad to hear of Walter Smith's passing, my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

He may have been a fierce rival where the fitbaw was concerned but he always came across as a decent human being and never more so than when he crossed the Glasgow divide to carry the coffin of one of ours....a fierce rival who he also considered a friend....that says enough about the man for me.

RIP Walter Smith.

Still no bad for a 36 year old well past his prime
I thought he'd run his race last season and that he might have called time at the right time, Tony. But the more I watch him, then the more I think he is that bit of steel we need to let the others round him play football.

In fairness to Broony........his forward passing has been a revelation for the sheep in spite of some of their results.

I thought he'd run his race last season and that he might have called time at the right time, Tony. But the more I watch him, then the more I think he is that bit of steel we need to let the others round him play football.

In fairness to Broony........his forward passing has been a revelation for the sheep in spite of some of their results.
I was up at the game at Pittodrie, he was there best player and we only got the winner when he was substituted. Big chance for him this evening to get the Aberdeen fans back on board after a terrible start to the season for their team.

I'm a bit shocked at how much the Aberdeen fans have accepted Broony. He really has been enemy no. 1 up here with the Sheepie fans - a real over-the-top hatred of him by so many of them. I thought with their poor run that he would be the obvious scapegoat but it has been almost unverisal positive feedback for his performances and influence. Glass seems to be taking the brunt of the disgruntled moaning over the last few weeks.

Last edited:

Cant say ive watched Aberdeen much mate but the sheep fan in work said the same thing ,his passings been superb.Was asking him why he supported Aberdeen if hes from Cambuslang and he told me his uncle Chick McClelland played for Aberdeen and got let go when Fergie took over.Think he went on to captain Motherwell after that.

I was at Kingsway Tech in 1981 doing a Motor Vehicle Maintenance course on the YOP. We played header tennis on a Friday afternoon in the Gym with Hamish McAlpine and Bobby Glennie. Your post brought all the memories back. Sorry to hear people made your time at college a nightmare. HH JC
Hi Richy, was good to chat earlier and just noticed coming back on here your post.
Its good to know you're from these parts too, along with SP.

Hamish McAlpine was a gent and sort of calmed things down when things were said and sometimes close to the wrong side of gamesmanship.
We used to progress by beating the other header tennis teams and losers handed over ten bob to one of the four players that beat them and so onto the final...if you were good enough.

But with 7 games to get to the final ...first to 10 points was the winner with the first team to two clear points advantage above ten wiining ....if it was close.
Kenny Cameron was another lovely bloke who often got Wattie under control. when his verbals went OTT ...shall I say.
It was amazing how close we the students and teachers were back then and though Bobby G wasn't there when I left in '79 I think he would have been a good addition to the "team" as they were mostly Arabs and Bobby was a Dundee player then....if my memory serves.

The day before my City and Guilds Electrical technician electrician final principles exam (07/12/78) in a freezing bitter December we played in the final with Wattie the referee, and the last header that won it for us I was shoved in the back by my teammate playing behind me named big Jock McG. shouting "my ball".
. Big Jock McG was unnaturally huge at 18 and had a barrel for a chest .....I went flying.

.. I crashed against the upright holding the net up and split my eyebrow with pouring blood, which closed my eye rapidly in less than 3 mins...with my major exams of two in the next successive days.

Hamish and Wattie quickly washed the blood off and stuck a plaster on it then despite only having 15 mins for an afternoon tea break they took me up to the principles class with Johnny Moran a no nonsense senior teacher.. who said "what idiot put that stupid sticky thing on...you're going to the DRI son"
to which I glanced round seeing Hamish and Wattie hurrying away along the corridor...

with 7 stiches in my eyebrow and just one eye open I passed all of my exams regs. principles and project each with distinction.......without their help back to my class I don't think I would have turned up for them otherwise.

Hope you stay well Richy...my friend
HH

Last edited:
Walter was our greatest rival, our Nemesis, Walter was our country leader and a friend. Walter was above all that a family man, and it is to them I send my deepest sympathies and heart felt thoughts. RIP, Walter Smith.

Always sad to hear of anyone passing away
Find your post a bit distasteful to be honest.Dont think the thread was made for you to throw mud at a guy whos just passed.Im sure you've said plenty of things in your younger day you now regret or were you too "great" for that.
Obviously don't take any joy in anyone passing away, what everyone seems to forget is that Walter Smith
Wish we still had him in some capacity tbh
He'll be back at parkhead at some point, 100%👍

Members online

Latest posts

Back