Tip-toe Through The Brown Stuff

Spherical Planet

Time waits for no man. Age and weary limbs catch up with all of us at various stages and perhaps last night confirmed what we might have suspected for a wee while now.

Our Skipper's powers are on the wane.

That's not to say that he should be immediately put out to pasture, he still has a function to serve and he still has a place on the park as part of our squad, but the reality is, is that we have to start preparing for life after Broony and we might have to start preparing sooner rather than later.

He's playing deeper and deeper now and there has been a disconnect in our midfield because of this, there are often as much as 20-yards between Broony and the rest of the pack. That put us on the backfoot twice at the hunderdome last season and allowed Cluj to play inbetween our midfield last night.

Scott Brown has rightfully earned his place as a genuine Celtic legend. He has suffered a few setbacks and questions have previously been asked, but he always came back punching and should be lauded for his durability. His memory and his legacy shouldn't be allowed to end on a sour note, he has to be protected from himself and given the platform to end his days of being a top-class player with the dignity he deserves.

The unfortunate thing for top quality athletes, is that when the end comes - it doesn't happen over a gradual passing of time. It happens quickly and emphatically. This can damage the reputations we construct for our heroes and I would hate this to be the case with Scott Brown.

He is Our Captain. He is Our Leader on the pitch. He is a Celtic Legend.

Time waits for no man. Age and weary limbs catch up with all of us at various stages and perhaps last night confirmed what we might have suspected for a wee while now.

That's not to say that he should be immediately put out to pasture, he still has a function to serve and he still has a place on the park as part of our squad, but the reality is, is that we have to start preparing for life after Broony and we might have to start preparing sooner rather than later.

He's playing deeper and deeper now and there has been a disconnect in our midfield because of this, there are often as much as 20-yards between Broony and the rest of the pack. That put us on the backfoot twice at the hunderdome last season and allowed Cluj to play inbetween our midfield last night.

Scott Brown has rightfully earned his place as a genuine Celtic legend. He has suffered a few setbacks and questions have previously been asked, but he always came back punching and should be lauded for his durability. His memory and his legacy shouldn't be allowed to end on a sour note, he has to be protected from himself and given the platform to end his days of being a top-class player with the dignity he deserves.

The unfortunate thing for top quality athletes, is that when the end comes - it doesn't happen over a gradual passing of time. It happens quickly and emphatically. This can damage the reputations we construct for our heroes and I would hate this to be the case with Scott Brown.

Of course he is SP .but the legend cannot go on for ever ,if he is accommodating broonie for the sake of being broonie ,first mane on the sheet ,well things are gonna have to change ,Calmac can play there, and in the midfield area ,!time maybe on the subs bench now ,legend status does not make you invincible,hh

Of course he is SP .but the legend cannot go on for ever ,if he is accommodating broonie for the sake of being broonie ,first mane on the sheet ,well things are gonna have to change ,Calmac can play there, and in the midfield area ,!time maybe on the subs bench now ,legend status does not make you invincible,hh
I remember Danny McGrain's last full season in Hoops, Ray.

There were quite a few grumbles among the crowd and this was for a guy who fractured his skull and played with diabetes when it was a life-threatening condition.

Danny bowed out at the right time and it's a call that Scott Brown has to make at some point before someone makes it for him.

He took a heavy enough knock early doors last night and that might have had an impact on what followed, but he was caught out a couple of times before the knock and didn't seem quite at the races.

He's still good for 20+ games this season, but he won't exert the same influence as he did in years gone by.

That's the reality of high-level sport. He looks in good shape, but that muscle mass is a lot of heavy timber to carry around for 8km per match.

I sincerely wish it wasn't so, but reality bites you in the arse sometimes.

Teams tactics let him down

but of all nights to have an off night the hand ball was unforgivable knowing full well away goals would would add to the pressure

This is what down sizing looks like there's no hiding it were gettin sold down the river

There were quite a few grumbles among the crowd and this was for a guy who fractured his skull and played with diabetes when it was a life-threatening condition.

Danny bowed out at the right time and it's a call that Scott Brown has to make at some point before someone makes it for him.

He took a heavy enough knock early doors last night and that might have had an impact on what followed, but he was caught out a couple of times before the knock and didn't seem quite at the races.

He's still good for 20+ games this season, but he won't exert the same influence as he did in years gone by.

That's the reality of high-level sport. He looks in good shape, but that muscle mass is a lot of heavy timber to carry around for 8km per match.

And more recently with Lambert and Lennon himself. I still think he is good enough for 20-30 games this season at a high level. For me, CalMac & Christie would be the first names on my teamsheet for the biggest games, but they do need rested properly too.

Sure does SP ,been and IS a great Celt ,I want to see him go out on the highest plane possible,he deserves all the respect as a wonderful captain ,player ,person ,,but as you rightly say ,not superman ,and can’t go for ever unfortunately ,hh

Yes Broony is getting caught on the ball regular enough now, that even happened against motherwell.

I understand those who get upset with negativity about Broony, but they need to accept reality that he is still good enough for most games but can no longer do it all on his own or play that amount of games, as that's gone from impressive to concerning.

Lenny recently pondered how vital Broony was and wondered how we'd cope without him!
If Lenny is not demanding at least one back up then he is not the smart thinking man he is acclaimed by many independents as being, if he can't work out the likely problems imminent in his own wonders.

Yes Broony is getting caught on the ball regular enough now, that even happened against motherwell.

I understand those who get upset with negativity about Broony, but they need to accept reality that he is still good enough but can no longer do it all on his own.

Lenny recently pondered how vital Broony was and wondered how we'd cope without him!
If Lenny is not demanding at least one back up then he is not the smart thinking man he is acclaimed by many independents as being if he can't work out the problems in his own wonders.
I really want to emphasise that point, Jim. I'm not suggesting that he can't do a job, but he definitely needs assistance.

3 games in 6 days is a lot to ask of a physical player in their mid-30's and the club have to ease his workload by getting in an appropriate replacement.

We know there are other areas that need work, but we have to be planning for the inevitable too.

Aye, think maybe Broony will know that times coming himself.

Last edited:
Spoke about this a couple of weeks back and I believe like most that a full season playing might just might be a streach for Broonie this season, especially if we reach the Europa Group stages ?.

At the moment I believe we have 2 players in our squad more than capable of playing the CDM role at a decent level and I hope we start using them before its time for Broonie to move to coaching.

The first one is Nir Bitton, great vision and can pick a pass, although not a natural born leader he can give it out if needed.

The second choice for me, well not really second as he would be my first choice, I'm sure you know what i mean ?.

He's a natural leader, good on the ball can tackle and ain't afraid to rollock a team mate when required, and is first in to chin the wee hard men opposition players. Kris Ajer is his name but we have to sort out the defence first.

H.H

Back