The Salzburg match

Uztai

How does it fit in our current situation? Should we play all our starters hoping to get at least a draw away? Salzburg is arguably the most difficult team in the group, even if Leipzig come from a stronger league. Or should we rest some players for Sunday? It's plausible Hearts will drop points and we're facing a tough away match, and I think we all agree we'd love to do well in Europe but the league is the #1 priority, so... thoughts?

How does it fit in our current situation? Should we play all our starters hoping to get at least a draw away? Salzburg is arguably the most difficult team in the group, even if Leipzig come from a stronger league. Or should we rest some players for Sunday? It's plausible Hearts will drop points and we're facing a tough away match, and I think we all agree we'd love to do well in Europe but the league is the #1 priority, so... thoughts?

Personally, I would like to see the strongest set of players, experience and form considered, for every match with 1 or 2 tweaks for most tired players or injuries.

For me league is always the priority if there are doubts about any player being fit for two games in short succession.

There is no point taking on Europe in a half arsed way. It is cash for the taking.
A win is €570 a draw €190k. It's not CL money clearly but we should be doing everthing we can to go for it. It will raise the profile of the club if we do well. A good result will help give the club a lift. A loss, well we have been down that path before and will have to just get on with it. We aren't blessed with a fully fit or in form squad at the moment. Till we start getting a bigger chunk of the guys fit then we have to go with the strongest side we have for every game.

I agree with Big Bobo & TET, we should be going to Salzburg to get a result - albeit we are a few players down. There are several aspects to us going there and resting players, firstly we really want to qualify from this group - so get a few more points in the bag and then we can look at resting players. Secondly we would never, in the past, dream of chopping and changing so much, personally I only think we should change when it is absolutely crucial. The great Mr Stein used to say that Celtic's best form of defence is to attack - so let's go out there are be positive.

One of the biggest problems I have about us playing Europa League football is Sunday games, I always said this, when we drop out of Champions League there is a knock on effect, even crowds are different on a Sunday - so we have to get as many club co-efficient points as possible - not country points - be selfish and think about ourselves for a change. We don't get any thanks when we got all the other SPL teams an extra pay-out, so just go over and play to potential. With regards St Johnstone for the next game, and with all respect to them Celtic have to be thinking they are good enough to go there and win.

Agree with Uztai that league is our priority. I would beef-up midfield to protect the defence. Maybe even play Malumbu but can't see it happening. If fit I would like to see Edouard up front as he was made for hitting teams on the break with his pace - James Forrest could support him. I am not sure about having a go at Salzburg as our defence could be exposed. Would love to see a win like everyone would but I am with dmac - great to get home with a point too and open up at Celtic Park. Our form is improving and we can only get better as the season goes on.

There is every chance this game could unravel in front of our very eyes and loose two or three goals. If that happens I'd want to be beaten with the best side we can field on the park. The press and even big chunks of our support would kick off if we didn't go there and try to get a result. The fans, especially the guys forking out £££ to go and support deserve that. As stated on this and other threads the tactics need to be spot on. Brown ntcham and mulumbu as a 3cm unit with room to win the ball and support. Back three with lustig as rcb. James and KT running like men possessed on the wings. If that doesn't work we are two subs away from trying our current stuttering tactics anyway.

Unless we regain more of our form then we could be in for a right tanking. If we do hit our stride then a draw would be a great result. I’m just hoping we don’t get a confidence crushing hammering.

We have to be one of the worst teams away from home in the history of Europe. I have been away in Europe 12 times and yet to see us win.

A 1.1 draw in Barcelona

Getting through against Stuttgart but losing.

A draw in Bordeaux

The rest, our arses handed to us through unbelievably pish defending.

The form book needs to change, and if we had tooled up in the summer maybe it would have. Mr Lawell thought better of that strategy so we are where we are.

Just don’t get humiliated is my main hope.

We need some momentum, so I hope Brendan plays our best players in a solid, pragmatic formation. I'd love a draw; a narrow defeat wouldn't be too hard to stomach so long as we give a good account of ourselves; an unexpected win would shine a new light on our early season "crisis".

Personally, I would like to see the strongest set of players, experience and form considered, for every match with 1 or 2 tweaks for most tired players or injuries.

For me league is always the priority if there are doubts about any player being fit for two games in short succession.
Strongest team every game - play to win every game - maintain a winning mentality.

Unless we regain more of our form then we could be in for a right tanking. If we do hit our stride then a draw would be a great result. I’m just hoping we don’t get a confidence crushing hammering.

We have to be one of the worst teams away from home in the history of Europe. I have been away in Europe 12 times and yet to see us win.

A 1.1 draw in Barcelona

Getting through against Stuttgart but losing.

A draw in Bordeaux

The rest, our arses handed to us through unbelievably pish defending.

The form book needs to change, and if we had tooled up in the summer maybe it would have. Mr Lawell thought better of that strategy so we are where we are.

Just don’t get humiliated is my main hope.
1-1 on my coupon HH

Being absolutely honest I'll be watching it thru ma fingers. They are a class outfit, just don't think we have the quality at this level and our form ain't the best. Saying that stranger things have happened. Would love a result just to bring the confidence factor back. HH??

Members online

Back