The myth of the pugilist and the empire state of mind.

Spherical Planet

As a fan of the noble art of boxing, I am intrigued by the myths and legends of our fine tradition of fighting men.

None more so than the renowned Benny Lynch and, more particularly, the myths and legends relating to his rise and subsequent fall to/from the summit of world boxing.

In singular human form, Benny is reflective of the entire Scottish psyche. Born to punch above his/our weight, but addled with self-doubt and fear of failure!

In the great Scottish tradition, Benny chose the path of self-destruction, but he will always be remembered as the wee man who walked among the giants.

It's the myth surrounding Benny Lynch that makes him so intriguing. Typical of many myths, it is difficult to determine the reality and fact from the fantasy and fiction.

Which leads me nicely to my next point.

On a digital landscape, such as Celtic Noise, we will encounter and meet kindred spirits and gentle souls, philosophers and poets, artisans and craftsmen, warriors and peacemakers, tramps and thieves.

We create a true community......a little empire - with leaders and followers, senators and congressmen.

Our views will harmonise and vary. We will agree then disagree. We will share our victories and suffer our defeats. We will fall in, then fall back out again.

Like wee Benny, we will reach the summit, then fall right off.

Unlike wee Benny, we are not alone and we will pick each other up and start the ascent again.

We don't have to be politically, religiously, or socially aligned. We have our common denominator and that will be our defining characteristic, as a group, community and little empire.

But like all empires, the leaders will have to stave off discontent and rebellion. Hidden cabals will hatch elaborate plots and plan their coups.

These will come in a variety of guises.

There will be the obvious invaders without subtlety or tact and these will be repelled with consequent ease.

There will also be the insidious hidden usurpers. Those who weave themselves within the fabric, who blend in with the colour and the pattern before their dye begins to fade and their true colour comes to light.

If wee Benny could fight his demons as well as he fought his opponents then he would be a boxing immortal.

Our wee empire also has to fight it's own demons and especially those who hide amongst us in plain sight.

As a fan of the noble art of boxing, I am intrigued by the myths and legends of our fine tradition of fighting men.

None more so than the renowned Benny Lynch and, more particularly, the myths and legends relating to his rise and subsequent fall to/from the summit of world boxing.

In singular human form, Benny is reflective of the entire Scottish psyche. Born to punch above his/our weight, but addled with self-doubt and fear of failure!

In the great Scottish tradition, Benny chose the path of self-destruction, but he will always be remembered as the wee man who walked among the giants.

It's the myth surrounding Benny Lynch that makes him so intriguing. Typical of many myths, it is difficult to determine the reality and fact from the fantasy and fiction.

On a digital landscape, such as Celtic Noise, we will encounter and meet kindred spirits and gentle souls, philosophers and poets, artisans and craftsmen, warriors and peacemakers, tramps and thieves.

We create a true community......a little empire - with leaders and followers, senators and congressmen.

Our views will harmonise and vary. We will agree then disagree. We will share our victories and suffer our defeats. We will fall in, then fall back out again.

Unlike wee Benny, we are not alone and we will pick each other up and start the ascent again.

We don't have to be politically, religiously, or socially aligned. We have our common denominator and that will be our defining characteristic, as a group, community and little empire.

But like all empires, the leaders will have to stave off discontent and rebellion. Hidden cabals will hatch elaborate plots and plan their coups.

There will be the obvious invaders without subtlety or tact and these will be repelled with consequent ease.

There will also be the insidious hidden usurpers. Those who weave themselves within the fabric, who blend in with the colour and the pattern before their dye begins to fade and their true colour comes to light.

If wee Benny could fight his demons as well as he fought his opponents then he would be a boxing immortal.

Our wee empire also has to fight it's own demons and especially those who hide amongst us in plain sight.

It"s rather scarey that you should post this as I was thinking along VERY similar lines but probably wouldn't have been as subtle in my approach had I posted it

I nominate you as Celtic Noise Diplomatic Ambassador Do we have a seconder?

HH?

Last edited:

Tam will see a love letter in this pal ?

https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/news/benny-lynch-exhibition-opens-at-peoples-palace

Members online

Latest posts

Back