SPFL sign new TV deal with beIN Sports

CalumHH

From the DR;

SPFL agree lucrative deal with beIN Sports to broadcast across the globe

Scottish football will be screened live across the globe after the SPFL struck a new TV deal with broadcast giants beIN Sports.

Chief executive Neil Doncaster is expected to announce the new two season tie up in the next 24 hours after weeks of talks with the Qatar based media group.

The cash value of the contract is unknown but the deal will secure live streams from SPFL matches are beamed into Australia, New Zealand and another 24 countries across the Middle East and North Africa.

The move comes after beIN were forced to pull the plug on the Scottish game on the opening day of the new season over a dispute with the financially stricken firm that snapped up all overseas rights for Scottish football in a controversial deal worth just £2m a year to the country’s cash strapped clubs.

That deal was terminated after MP & Silva defaulted on payments to the SPFL this summer - a move that allowed Doncaster to open negotiations with a raft of broadcasters around the world.

A Hampden source said: “There’s been a lot of uncertainty about the international TV deal and it was unsatisfactory that so many countries around the world were facing a potential black-out. It’s crucial for the image and profile of the Scottish game that we are seen in as many places as possible.

“The actual numbers involved are being kept under wraps at this stage but we expect a two year deal with beIN will be announced soon.”

Place your bets now on how God awful this deal will be.

Doncaster and Co. have been desperate to get a new deal and I can't imagine them actually negotiating anything more than a pittance for the rights to show Scottish football. The fact they aren't yet willing to disclose how much the deal is worth speaks volumes.

Hope i'm wrong but I doubt it.

Last edited:

'Doncaster and Co. have been desperate to get a new deal and I can't imagine them actually negotiating anything more than a pittance for the rights to show Scottish football. The fact they aren't yet willing to disclose how much the deal is worth speaks volumes.

Well if the previous deal was fro £2 million and they signed that then they obviouy thought that's what Scottish Football was worth The fact that they weren't paid what was due shows just how bad a job of due diligence they did
You couldn't make it up

HH?

The previous deal for 2 million for for another company to sell the rights worldwide. This deal is just for certain countries. So going by previous form by the SPFL , Doncaster and co have probably sold the rights for a few ginggy bottles.

Why is there never any detail with these charlatans? It's always sound bites and lack of transparency.

The devil is always in the detail

Could not give a flying - - - - about new tv deal for the likes of Plonkcaster and his Cronies sitting in there Ivory towers, not interested in that shower thinking there doing a great job,him and his mob should all resign ,end of h.h

Could not give a flying - - - - about new tv deal for the likes of Plonkcaster and his Cronies sitting in there Ivory towers, not interested in that shower thinking there doing a great job,him and his mob should all resign ,end of h.h
Totally agree but they'll NEVER resign
Be like turkey's voting for Christmas

HH?

Doncaster negotiating another TV deal for Scottish Football ?
If you thought that playing two semis on one day at Hampdump was bad wait until you see the details of this one !

The clubs will probably have to pay the TV company money !
Games will kickoff at 3am to suit world wide TV companies !
Team colours will be arbitrarily changed to suit whichever Asian company is sponsoring the game that day !
Richard Keys and Andy Gray will be your sexist hosts with Kris Boyd drafted in as special correspondent for creating fictional headlines at each half-time break about 'crisis' at Celtic !

The rot set in years ago and we are at a point of no return as far as our ability to negotiate ANYTHING from any tv deal. The last thing I read showed us to sit at the arse end of European Tv revenue pay outs. It's been years of bad marketing, neglect and clueless leadership from our top brass. How do you trade up from the bottom of the pile? The basic answer is you can't.
How many spl games do all of you watch?
I'd guess that most watch more games from abroad (England inc). Every year that passes the gap widens and any investor worth thier salt will look at it and say ok I plough x amount into this leauge and I could get the exposure or returns I want. Where is the attraction in investing in the spl?
Doncaster can't make a claim for a bigger share of the pot at best he will get a wee ladle in his begging bowl and telt to do one

Celtic as a SPFL member must know this. If they don't then they should know it. If so Celtic should leak it. After all we are the biggest draw for TV audiences abroad.

Welcome back satanta! Same bhoy that had that classic package! Wee Irish fella and associates. Can't fault him on the replies to the filth looking for match fees for coverage
"You're a new club now feck off" ??

Celtic as a SPFL member must know this. If they don't then they should know it. If so Celtic should leak it. After all we are the biggest draw for TV audiences abroad.
2m in the original defunct deal. They have the new deal by the balls and don't have to match it. Clubs will get a cut by value and pull. It's an extra few quid not alot. We are forgetting who has the proper rights to our games. Sky&BT. The untelevised for us is celtic TV. All of those palms have to be greased including ours. The big games unfortunately are owned by the first two hence the pittance of the 2m original contract.
In my eyes we as a club haven't pushed hard enough. The sfa brass haven't.
Our cut will pay a player for a few weeks or months depending who.

Doncaster and Co. have been desperate to get a new deal and I can't imagine them actually negotiating anything more than a pittance for the rights to show Scottish football. The fact they aren't yet willing to disclose how much the deal is worth speaks volumes.

I'd love to see the "desperate" middlemans deal for the signing on fee. Healthy I'd imagine?

To be realistic how much money do you think Celtic should receive. Am at a lost where this goes. According to Pedro we just signed the biggest sponsorship deal in Scottish football history! Or did l just image that.

Back