Rangers improvement in 2018-19

BenLynch29

Season is obviously not done yet, so there’s still time for them to blow it... :devilish:

But, looks to my unbiased eyes like they’re finally close to achieving results consistat with their means - ie 2nd biggest budget by a factor of 3x over Aberdeen, and it looks like they will probably finish 2nd and perhaps even finally make a cup final. Both would be firsts since their promotion from the Championship.

So what’s this down to? I personally think it’s due to their English to English translator for their English speaking players (click link).

Side note, I personally have no great animus towards Rangers or their supporters. I’m probably a little unique in that way as I’m not Scottish or Irish, didn’t grow up in Glasgow, am not Catholic, etc. I tend to view them as just another also-ran club in the SPL not unlike Aberdeen, Hearts, or Hibs.

And my own 2¢ is that what will truely kill them once and for all is if the rest of non-Rangers fans started treating them this way. They’re not special, and beating them on match day isn’t (or shouldn’t be) any more significant than any other league win.

There’s a phrase in America that is apt here, and I’m going to paraphrase here: being better than Rangers is a lot like being the smartest kid on the short bus - it’s not something that should give one great pride.

Season is obviously not done yet, so there’s still time for them to blow it... :devilish:

But, looks to my unbiased eyes like they’re finally close to achieving results consistat with their means - ie 2nd biggest budget by a factor of 3x over Aberdeen, and it looks like they will probably finish 2nd and perhaps even finally make a cup final. Both would be firsts since their promotion from the Championship.

So what’s this down to? I personally think it’s due to their English to English translator for their English speaking players (click link).

Side note, I personally have no great animus towards Rangers or their supporters. I’m probably a little unique in that way as I’m not Scottish or Irish, didn’t grow up in Glasgow, am not Catholic, etc. I tend to view them as just another also-ran club in the SPL not unlike Aberdeen, Hearts, or Hibs.

And my own 2¢ is that what will truely kill them once and for all is if the rest of non-Rangers fans started treating them this way. They’re not special, and beating them on match day isn’t (or shouldn’t be) any more significant than any other league win.

There’s a phrase in America that is apt here, and I’m going to paraphrase here: being better than Rangers is a lot like being the smartest kid on the short bus - it’s not something that should give one great pride.
Also, to note here that anyone under the age of 12-13 has no memories of anyone winning the league other than Celtic, and Rangers fans in particular have no memories whatsoever of winning any meaningful trophy including cups.

The part about treating them like any other club... well, sooner or later their own supporters will start believing it too. Particularly as their youth continue to grow up without memories of the club winning anything other than the ocassional cup trophy or one-off upset against Celtic in individual matches.

For all the talk about how tough Celtic have it in Europe with regards to player recruitment, finances, etc... Rangers are in the same situation with 1/3 the turnover and no regular access to Champions League / qualifiers. They’re basically a wealthier version of Aberdeen, albeit with a God complex.

Also, to note here that anyone under the age of 12-13 has no memories of anyone winning the league other than Celtic, and Rangers fans in particular have no memories whatsoever of winning any meaningful trophy including cups.

The part about treating them like any other club... well, sooner or later their own supporters will start believing it too. Particularly as their youth continue to grow up without memories of the club winning anything other than the ocassional cup trophy or one-off upset against Celtic in individual matches.

For all the talk about how tough Celtic have it in Europe with regards to player recruitment, finances, etc... Rangers are in the same situation with 1/3 the turnover and no regular access to Champions League / qualifiers. They’re basically a wealthier version of Aberdeen, albeit with a God complex.
Aberdeen are only 5 points behind Sevco if you consider Aberdeen are still also in the Scottish Cup and were the losers in the LC, not bad for team with no finances on par with the team above them.

Aberdeen are only 5 points behind Sevco if you consider Aberdeen are still also in the Scottish Cup and were the losers in the LC, not bad for team with no finances on par with the team above them.
Agreed. They also finished 2nd in the League and runners up in both Cups the first year Rangers were back in the Premiership (or promoted to the Premiership for the first time depending on one’s view of survivorship).

McInnis has done remarkably well both domestically and in Europa managing a club with £10m turnover. He’s consistently exceeded expectations IMO given that he’s never once failed to surpass the results of a club in the same league with 3x the resources. He was also smart to stay at Aberdeen IMO because a big part of his success is the relative stability of the club both on and off the pitch.

As much as I respect your intentions, BL, the concerns I have with them extend beyond sport.

I guess it's one of those things you have to experience up close and personal (but I wouldn't recommend it) and the closest comparison I can make regarding how they feel about us would be to say that it would be akin to an African-American walking into a KKK convention.

On a sporting level, they are an also-ran, but don't underestimate Aberdeen's ability to chase them down for second and to knock them out of another cup competition (that's if Killie don't manage it first).

As much as I respect your intentions, BL, the concerns I have with them extend beyond sport.

I guess it's one of those things you have to experience up close and personal (but I wouldn't recommend it) and the closest comparison I can make regarding how they feel about us would be to say that it would be akin to an African-American walking into a KKK convention.

On a sporting level, they are an also-ran, but don't underestimate Aberdeen's ability to chase them down for second and to knock them out of another cup competition (that's if Killie don't manage it first).
Mostly I was just looking for an excuse to post about the article with the headline:
Steven Gerrard Translates English Into English For English-Speaking Player

And a punch line of:
“This is the first time in history that a Scouser has ever been the person speaking most clearly in a conversation.”

Carry on... (y):ROFLMAO:

Agreed. They also finished 2nd in the League and runners up in both Cups the first year Rangers were back in the Premiership (or promoted to the Premiership for the first time depending on one’s view of survivorship).

McInnis has done remarkably well both domestically and in Europa managing a club with £10m turnover. He’s consistently exceeded expectations IMO given that he’s never once failed to surpass the results of a club in the same league with 3x the resources. He was also smart to stay at Aberdeen IMO because a big part of his success is the relative stability of the club both on and off the pitch.
To echo Lubo, not Rangers, not back in the Premiership.

But, looks to my unbiased eyes like they’re finally close to achieving results consistat with their means

Cannot agree with your facts and figures, for example before Pedro stepped in to take the reigns Murty was showing the real living within the means and in doing so he got as close as Gerrard could only dream of if you compare the eight point gap that stands and this is only Febraury 2019. Murty was into March 6 points behind which is a better achievement before he played the March derby fixture, Gerrard has to play his March derby and could fall 11 behind considering all things been equal until then.
Published 11th March 2018
Speaking after the game, Murty claimed his side had thrown away a golden chance to cut the Celtic’s lead at the top of the SPL to just three points.
“I’m immensely frustrated because I don’t think we’ll ever give ourselves a better opportunity to go and win the game,” he said.
“We started brilliantly and then lacked composure, we got carried away in the atmosphere. They get back into it with a good hit from them but a poor goal from us.
“But we go ahead again and then we concede an awful goal one minute before half-time. That’s a fundamental flaw – an error that shouldn’t happen at this level.”

Underhand funding and SFA/SPl complicity are the only factors enabling their desperate pursuit of Celtic.

If they were operating on a level playing field like every other club business in Scotland, they'd be bust and gone again.

But all Celtic need do is keep winning; that will kill them eventually. Again.

This summer might be pivotal if we get the eight and the excitement turns to nine.

They will be given no choice by the hordes of darkness other than to blow the cutlery on players to show some kind of reaction. Will shyster Dave bankroll another squad rebuild, more millions they don't have spunked on second-rate journeymen by a sneering scouse DJ-molestor?

If you were to run 'The Rangers' as a normal, book-balancing business you'd sell off the Death Star, play out of a 25k stadium with half the £12 million per annum running costs, charge a premium to the season-ticket holders who'll happily pay the highest ticket prices ever seen in Scotland to avoid the ten thousand long waiting list, max out your corporate boxes and have sponsors vying to be associated with a fresh, vibrant club with a large fanbase, running a trim squad covered by a wage cap to ensure the business gets profitable as quickly as possible so they can build towards a title challenge somewhere near the end of its first 5-10 years in operation.

That's what you could do with the Huns.

Trouble is, the Orcs demand that Celtic are stopped from attaining the Holy Grail of ten-in-a-row AND of course, the terrifying fact that with this eight comes the FIFTY honestly-won titles, with their cheating 54 right on the horizon and the nightmare that we get to 55 before they do.

We thought 2012 was a time to be alive and bear witness to the death of a dark Scottish institution.
Here we are appraoching the end of the decade and the sequel's in production. This could be the disaster movie to end all disaster movies.

And all we need do is keep winning and stock up on the popcorn.

Not so long ago we had a problem when it came to playing at hampden, the problem was that we simply didn't play. The hampden hoodoo. That hampden hoodoo now belongs big time to 2012 having lost there to us, Aberdeen, hibs, and it's the reason apart from ourselves that i can't see them winning any cups anytime soon. It definately is a problem for them now. Going to hampden and losing has become a regular feature of their season, whilst for us hampden has become like an extension of CP albeit a little shabby by comparison. I hear and read a lot of how 2012 have improved, i consider however that our erratic away form has helped conceal the fact it's just not true. A fully domestically focused Celtic should shed some light on that fact right about now in the business end of the season. The words "I'll take responsibility for that" and "mutual consent ", edge closer every day as the meltdown gathers momentum and fantasies 'slip' away.

Yeah Ben. Know wit yer saying however smashin a cuntos face in gives great satisfaction.

Back