James McCarthy

I think I will start a knee-jerk thread proclaiming McCarthy as our greatest ever signing seeing as he laid on such a beautiful pass to set up the wonderful opening goal.

Or alternatively I might go old school and actually give the guy a chance to settle into a new team, recover from injury, recover from Covid, get his fitness levels up and play some games over an extended period of time before deciding if he has been a success and contributed positively to some success!
aye crack on

While it would be true to say tonight wasn't a great test for us, I think it would be fair also to say McCarthy had a more than decent game. If he can.get up to speed and maintain his fitness I think he will do us a turn.
I think he gets a raw deal myself frank and is misunderstood.
With injuries and age he wasn’t as explosive as he used to be so palace dropped him back a bit.
He was a box to box midfielder for a number of years. He has more footballing ability than a guy that breaks up play.
Quite often the key to an attack comes from the sitting midfielders receiving it short from a defender and picking the correct pass and being able to execute it properly.
There was a difference to our style of play without kyogo, but IMO there’s been an even greater drop off since Mcgregor was injured.
Play becomes too slow and predictable.
mcgregor gets quality away early

I think he gets a raw deal myself frank and is misunderstood.
With injuries and age he wasn’t as explosive as he used to be so palace dropped him back a bit.
He was a box to box midfielder for a number of years. He has more footballing ability than a guy that breaks up play.
Quite often the key to an attack comes from the sitting midfielders receiving it short from a defender and picking the correct pass and being able to execute it properly.
There was a difference to our style of play without kyogo, but IMO there’s been an even greater drop off since Mcgregor was injured.
Play becomes too slow and predictable.
mcgregor gets quality away early
Spot on stg
Calmac sets the tempo to our play and leads to the fast one touch passing and suits our quicker players.
This slower passing means we're looking for that precise pass and thankfully Mccarthy could deliver it or we could have been in for a very long night.

I think I will start a knee-jerk thread proclaiming McCarthy as our greatest ever signing seeing as he laid on such a beautiful pass to set up the wonderful opening goal.

Or alternatively I might go old school and actually give the guy a chance to settle into a new team, recover from injury, recover from Covid, get his fitness levels up and play some games over an extended period of time before deciding if he has been a success and contributed positively to some success!
He has decent track record and im hopeful he can be a good signing

I've never rated him. I've never wanted him at celtic. All he seems to do is point to the other players as to where to pass to. That being said, he's at celtic now and fuck all I can do about that so I hope he proves me wrong.
As for big Duffy, he landed at the wrong time with a useless hooer of a manager and a half a team of big headed pricks and mammies boys. He's not as bad as he showed for us. I hope the lad continues to play well for Brighton.

McCarthy's pass tonight was the type of creativity we have been missing. Hopefully but a taste of what's to come as he get's fitter, stronger and starts to really enjoy his football.
Didn't CCV do the same 5 mins earlier. He must be our best signing as well... There are a few other players like Turnbull, Biton, Calmac, all doing this on a regular basis. That's what is expected.

Last edited:
I've never rated him. I've never wanted him at celtic. All he seems to do is point to the other players as to where to pass to. That being said, he's at celtic now and fuck all I can do about that so I hope he proves me wrong.
As for big Duffy, he landed at the wrong time with a useless hooer of a manager and a half a team of big headed pricks and mammies boys. He's not as bad as he showed for us. I hope the lad continues to play well for Brighton.
His pointing is doing my head in and must be a huge distraction for players around him.

A love you when you put the Test tubes doon and speak sense and kick ass
Mon the Forfar Smokies

HH 👏

Lol you are trying to make honey out of dog Shite he is at best a Raith rover player, and he is now behind McGregor, soro , don't get all misty eyes with. Me
Aye at best a Raith Rovers players.
That's why he was on £80k a week at Everton.
Love how people can make up their mind about a player after a couple of games.
Well since your doing that , I will make a snap judgement on you.
You're a bit of a fanny

Last edited:
Back