James McCarthy

Aye at best a Raith Rovers players.
That's why he was on £80k a week at Everton.
Love how people can make up their mind about a player after a couple of games.
Well since your doing that , I will make a snap judgement on you.
Your a bit of a fanny
Listen dick head, the guy that picked this cripple up, was not the same scout that picked us up. Lubo he should have been on a trial deal only and if money is sure god
Aye at best a Raith Rovers players.
That's why he was on £80k a week at Everton.
Love how people can make up their mind about a player after a couple of games.
Well since your doing that , I will make a snap judgement on you.
Your a bit of a fanny

In this team McCarthy is VERY POOR. He is a liability full stop. If there was a viable alternative he would not be in the team at all.
The problem as I see it around the whole Mccarthy signing virgo is, I would agree with you is he's not suitable for the role he is being asked to play within the team.
In the way the team is set up, that Calmac role is one more for a playmaker than a defensive midfielder imo. I wouldn't class calmac as a great DM, but still far better than we still have.
Mccarthy has never been nor would he ever be, a play making midfielder, along with the rest available in the role either, as quite simply there all not good enough on the ball to carry out the position except for calmac.
Again with the lack of pace that Calmac provides causes another huge problem for the role also.
Now I wasn't in favour of the Mccarthy signing, yet I could see the sence in it, if we were to change formation especially in the European matches, as I've never seen Mccarthy operate outside of a 4 man midfield with him solely looking after the defensive side of things and only avarage at best doing that imo.
So the real question that should be asked is why we wanted to sign him, when he is so unsuitable for the role he is being asked to play?
You can go further by asking how come we are in this position when quite clearly we haven't a suitable replacement available for calmac, in the most important position in the way Ange wants to set the team up and play still?
You can make the same claim regarding Starfelt also, wanting to have a ball playing CH, yet seen nothing to see he is really capable of doing the role either.
So in short, why have we bought players unsuitable for the roles Ange is wanting, when there still remains no sight of any change with the formation of style of play? Doesn't make any sense to me anyway

The problem as I see it around the whole Mccarthy signing virgo is, I would agree with you is he's not suitable for the role he is being asked to play within the team.
In the way the team is set up, that Calmac role is one more for a playmaker than a defensive midfielder imo. I wouldn't class calmac as a great DM, but still far better than we still have.
Mccarthy has never been nor would he ever be, a play making midfielder, along with the rest available in the role either, as quite simply there all not good enough on the ball to carry out the position except for calmac.
Again with the lack of pace that Calmac provides causes another huge problem for the role also.
Now I wasn't in favour of the Mccarthy signing, yet I could see the sence in it, if we were to change formation especially in the European matches, as I've never seen Mccarthy operate outside of a 4 man midfield with him solely looking after the defensive side of things and only avarage at best doing that imo.
So the real question that should be asked is why we wanted to sign him, when he is so unsuitable for the role he is being asked to play?
You can go further by asking how come we are in this position when quite clearly we haven't a suitable replacement available for calmac, in the most important position in the way Ange wants to set the team up and play still?
You can make the same claim regarding Starfelt also, wanting to have a ball playing CH, yet seen nothing to see he is really capable of doing the role either.
So in short, why have we bought players unsuitable for the roles Ange is wanting, when there still remains no sight of any change with the formation of style of play? Doesn't make any sense to me anyway
McGregors quick John ,decent burst of speed

You quite rightly ask many pertinent questions in your post John. Without reciting a catalogue of names, I think there have been too many questionable signings over recent years. Indeed, it's my own opinion that poor recruitment in the recent past is a major factor in surrendering our position in Scotland.

Personally I think we have a number of issues with our team selections at the moment - but these are mainly the result of having to work around so many injuries. Likevseveral other players McCarthy is being expected to do things that he is not really suited to do.

The front three at the moment just isn't working. We are missing the speed and hard pressing of Kyogo. I think the physical presence of Giakoumakis would also work based on what I have heard about him. I also think Klimala would have been a much better fit to Angeball.

In midfirld I think we have to stop playing Turnbull and Rogic together. They just don't gel and interfere with each other. But worse, they leave too much work to do for the third midfielder. OK, CalMac has the energy levels and skills to cope against some opposition but is it a coincidence that he succumbed timo injury?

Also by demanding both full backs belt up and down the wings it is leaving them exposed, along with the two CBs and also expect the DM to cover both wings as well.

I think we need to simplify our tactics as our currently available players just do not have the skillsets to meet the high expectations of them on the pitch. I'd suggest a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 to help our defence and stop our midfield from getting overloaded against better opposition.

You quite rightly ask many pertinent questions in your post John. Without reciting a catalogue of names, I think there have been too many questionable signings over recent years. Indeed, it's my own opinion that poor recruitment in the recent past is a major factor in surrendering our position in Scotland.
We also have the big problem with the youngsters also Frank.
I would imagine teams down south have there u23 teams set up to play in the same manner as the main team, so the step up is done far more smoothly.
We haven't got that in place within Scotland.
So now we have bought in Ange, with a totally different style of play that none of the youngsters are familiar with whatsoever.
That can also be applied to the likes of Soro etc etc who don't seem suited to the new way of playing also, so now turns into a poor signing overall.
If the level of coaching isn't up to a standard for players to become more adaptable to different styles of play then we will be left with a wholesale of players waiting upon a manager where they might be able to adapt to his plans.
Welsh and Monty seem to be struggling the most at present, when many of us expected them to kick on this season.
At a stage now, where we seem to be overloaded yet again with players who won't fit into Ange plans and shown no signs yet that many ever will.

Personally I think we have a number of issues with our team selections at the moment - but these are mainly the result of having to work around so many injuries. Likevseveral other players McCarthy is being expected to do things that he is not really suited to do.

The front three at the moment just isn't working. We are missing the speed and hard pressing of Kyogo. I think the physical presence of Giakoumakis would also work based on what I have heard about him. I also think Klimala would have been a much better fit to Angeball.

In midfirld I think we have to stop playing Turnbull and Rogic together. They just don't gel and interfere with each other. But worse, they leave too much work to do for the third midfielder. OK, CalMac has the energy levels and skills to cope against some opposition but is it a coincidence that he succumbed timo injury?

Also by demanding both full backs belt up and down the wings it is leaving them exposed, along with the two CBs and also expect the DM to cover both wings as well.

I think we need to simplify our tactics as our currently available players just do not have the skillsets to meet the high expectations of them on the pitch. I'd suggest a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 to help our defence and stop our midfield from getting overloaded against better opposition.
Spot on BB, as there already starting to see a lack of confidence over the past few weeks, to where we were a month or so ago

I would imagine teams down south have there u23 teams set up to play in the same manner as the main team, so the step up is done far more smoothly.
So now we have bought in Ange, with a totally different style of play that none of the youngsters are familiar with whatsoever.
That can also be applied to the likes of Soro etc etc who don't seem suited to the new way of playing also, so now turns into a poor signing overall.
If the level of coaching isn't up to a standard for players to become more adaptable to different styles of play then we will be left with a wholesale of players waiting upon a manager where they might be able to adapt to his plans.
Welsh and Monty seem to be struggling the most at present, when many of us expected them to kick on this season.
At a stage now, where we seem to be overloaded yet again with players who won't fit into Ange plans and shown no signs yet that many ever will.
Sorry Jonnno can't agree with the assertion that Welsh and Monty are struggling. I must be watching a different game as I think both of those players have been amongst our better performers in this short season so far. More than adequate.

I think it would be fair to say the changes Ange is trying to implement will take time John. Obviously the first team pool is his priority for the time being. The coaching methods with the younger players may be something he'll address later. I keep saying it, but this will take longer than we'd like in my opinion. Speaking for myself, I'm trying to be positive/patient , but I find the system frustrating at times. Especially in how open we leave ourselves. Let's hope it turns out ok.

Sorry Jonnno can't agree with the assertion that Welsh and Monty are struggling. I must be watching a different game as I think both of those players have been amongst our better performers in this short season so far. More than adequate.
Should have said Ange don't seem to like them to much as players virgo, as none to keen on wanting to give them both a starting role, especially Welsh for some reason

Should have said Ange don't seem to like them to much as players virgo, as none to keen on wanting to give them both a starting role, especially Welsh for some reason

Welsh was solid right up until he was dropped for CCV (which was extremely unfair imo) CCV should've been made to work for that slot a bit more instead of being dropped in there the minute he arrived as young Welsh had more than earned his place.

Montgomery on the other hand has played well enough for a kid just breaking into the team but he can be really careless with his passing and positional sense at times, the bhoy has a good future ahead of him but there's areas of his game where he has serious work to do.

Hasn't played enough shadow to be made a scapegoat imo

Spot on mate but it disnae seem to have stopped some from trying to make him one though!

The guy has made what...2 sub appearances and 1 start...and in-between those appearances he's been unable to train properly due to being laid up with Covid, couple that with the fact he had limited pre-season training, is it any wonder he's maybe no up to speed yet!

Fuck people were still making excuses for Eddy's form 7 months after his bout of Covid yet McCarthy is getting pilloried after a week's recovery! People need to cut the guy some slack ffs!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back