Expectations for 2022/23

CarlisleReiver

1. SPL Trophy
2. Europe - try as hard as we can to go as far as we can.

Then the cups, I've said before football is about winning things and they're there to be won. However, the game has moved on and in reality to celtic other than the trophy do they get in the way of our progress??

I would play:
1st team only for SPL & Europe - keep them fresh that's a minium of 44 games (38 League - 6 Champions League).
Youngsters & Squad for the scottish cup and League cup, that a maximium of 9 games.

This would keep the 1st team fresh and with the eyes on the main games (the ones that will earn the club the $). Also it would introduce the youngster to "win" every game mentality.

Looking forward to next season, after one of the most enjoyable seasons I've witnessed.

Expectations from any Celtic team always remain the same before any new season CR, for myself anyway.
I expect to see a team willing to give everything for the club in any game they take part in, for which we had the privilege to witness the vast majority of the games last season and with the added bonus of playing some wonderful and exciting football in the process.
Yet I still believe that we still have room to improve upon that still, yet the demand to do so will be nowhere near as high as what it was at the end of the previous season.
Our club thrives on success and what Ange is currently doing with the squad gives us a great platform to build upon and potentially bringing much more success to us all.
Yet we have to bear in mind that next season is going to be like no other before, with having the nonsense of putting a world Cup in the middle of a season.
Got no idea how much of an affect that may have upon the team, yet going to be a huge headache for many a manager imo.
Yet if I had to priorise where our main focus should be, I would still put the domestic trophies before Europe, yet I still hope for a better showing in Europe than what we have had over the last number of years.

I just don't get that the domestic cups are more important John. Even getting a win in the group stage earns more than what we get for both cups (probably a draw does too). The more money we can earn, makes our squad stronger, which in turn can help us win the domestic cup?

Winning a group stage game€2.8m
Drawing a group stage game€930,000

Hope to win the league, probability high.

Hope to get a good European run,
Probability CL naw El 🤷

Hope to get a domestic treble (again)

Probability Decent chance.

Hope the board back Ange with a real transfer fund.

Probability ❓❓.

On the field of play I would like to see a tweek or 2 on the defensive side when required ie European football.

11 out of 12 here we go.

Considering we only did the league and Cup double in Anges 1st season...phase 1.
I think we will have to settle for a domestic treble and a Europa league trophy in phase 2. Unfortunately this means we will finish 3rd in our group with Real Madrid, AC Milan and Spurs which will be a bit of a disappointment!!
Not expecting a champions league trophy till phase 3 to be honest....

As much home silverware as possible, with the title obviously the most important.
Europe isn’t that important to me at all, yes I would like to see us play well and get as deep as we can but as far as the CL is concerned, its virtually a closed shop that we fight for scraps from the table from.
The Europa lge and the other diddy one, in the grand scheme of things, are just distractions.
Home silverware for me all day long.

The number 1 priority for me will always be the Scottish League. I'd hope for one of the cups too. Trebles are very difficult to win (only done ten times in the first 70 years, then we went and won 4 trebles in a row) so we should never take them for granted.

This season in Europe I really want us to do ourselves proud - it is a while since we have done this. I'm hoping Ange is a bit more pragmatic in his formations and tactics and less gung-ho as we will get carved open against the top strikers. Realistically I think our best chance of progressing is to finish in third place and drop into the Europa League. The medium-term goal will be to look to progress out of the CL Group Stages.

I'm hoping for another 3 or 4 high quality players to come into the squad each capable of stepping up into the first team starter roster after a very short settling in period. Of course a fair bit of dad wood will need to move on if we can find buyers for them.

Hopefully our current players will be stronger next season after a proper break, some decent time on the training ground learning rather than straight into shitty Euro qualifiers after 10 days off at most. Our Far East contingent will have earned their break and so be even better this year. Hatate showed early on his amazing skills but was clearly shattered later on (maybe he needs the assistance of a Dutch Dr Feelgood to somehow help him make some unbelievable super-human recoveries?). I think Gucci will be a star next season, but I'd still look to get in another DM.

GG will have a proper pre-season and so get going much earlier and hopefully be top scorer. If we can't shift Ajeti and he manages to get his fitness up, will Ange help him rediscover his magnificent goal-scoring form he displayed in Switzerland? Possibly, but I doubt we will get to find out as he will probably move away.

I am very optimistic for next season and hope the games are as enjoyable as most were this season. It was breath-taking at times and just brilliant to watch.

A team, strengthened and improved with the players Ange wants, which will annihilate Toilet Duck FC in all competitions. Sufficient progress in Europe to establish the foundation which will result in annual qualification to the CL group stages. Scottish League won at a canter and domestic cups are nice but they represent the only hope of glory for the lesser teams so wouldn't mind if either domestic cup went to a lesser club not known for drinking from toilets or wrecking toilet facilities.

Hopefully a big spend on 'Brasso' !
Seriously though, retain the league. Widen the winning gap. A decent run and competitiveness in Europe. Hopefully a breakthrough by at least one of our young prospects.

I just don't get that the domestic cups are more important John. Even getting a win in the group stage earns more than what we get for both cups (probably a draw does too). The more money we can earn, makes our squad stronger, which in turn can help us win the domestic cup?

Winning a group stage game€2.8m
Drawing a group stage game€930,000
To answer your question CR, I value success far higher than the money circus of the CL.
I believe Celtic should be aiming to win any competition that it takes part in, yet the CL still remains a total longshot still, but still wouldn't rule us out of being able to do what villareal done this season, but again a lot could depend on the luck of the draw.
I understand your theory CR regards the money making opportunities, but you also have to take into account, that already most of our signings under Ange are already worth millions more than we actually paid for them.
Now if they do preform anything like we know that they are capable of doing so within the CL, then there value would sky rocket even further still, to the degree that the record fee we got for KT and 25M, could well be overtaken and by some distance also imo.
So it's OK looking at the potential money that could be coming into the club in the future, but would hate to see this team being broke up, over money, cause finding the value for money in players like Ange has already done, will be a very long time, that such value for money could be found again and hopefully the board wouldn't want to cash in either, so keeping a successful celtic remains higher than the money factor imo, and this current squad of players have all the makings of delivering huge amounts of success still.

Members online

Latest posts

Back