Celtic v Raith Rovers - League Cup Quarter Final Thursday 23 September, Kick-off 7.45pm - all comments here

Jota was the main attacking threat as no movement of any great note ahead of him. That will be the case come Saturday I would have thought as the big Greek injured in warm up ? Abada a mixed bag but still only 19. Good to see young Scales get on.. a proud moment for him . I like Carter Vickers steady strong and consistent for me. Clean sheet and job done .... we move on. Just need victories at present performance not the over-riding factor until we get key players back.

No one particularly stood out, no one was particularly bad. Looked a tired performance, but that's not surprising given the injuries and lack of squad depth, particularly in midfield and up front. We now have defenders in abundance, look at the bench, all we need now is to find the first choice 4 and stick with them.
If I had to pick a MOTM I would probably go for Jota or Carter-Vickers. Also thought McCarthy was much improved which gives a bit of hope moving forward.
Onwards to Sunday's must win v Dundee Utd, we'll need to improve a lot on tonight.

Jota was the main attacking threat as no movement of any great note ahead of him. That will be the case come Saturday I would have thought as the big Greek injured in warm up ? Abada a mixed bag but still only 19. Good to see young Scales get on.. a proud moment for him . I like Carter Vickers steady strong and consistent for me. Clean sheet and job done .... we move on. Just need victories at present performance not the over-riding factor until we get key players back.
Sunday

Ajeti doesn't get involved enough, he's too static and the way we play calls for a striker who is continuously on the move. Might be worthwhile starting Abada as striker on Sunday. He's played there in Israel and from what we've seen from him the bhoy he can finish. Maybe him through the middle with Jota right and Montgomery left would give the pace and movement for Turnbull and Rogic to find with through balls.

3-0 cup result got to be happy!but we can’t keep playing that midfield three rogic,turnbull,McCarthy?all fair players on there own merits but our play just grinds to a halt totally paceless,,add to that ajetis lack of pace and awareness and the task becomes even harder..hope wee cal mac’s no far off returning,,,,

Ajeti doesn't get involved enough, he's too static and the way we play calls for a striker who is continuously on the move. Might be worthwhile starting Abada as striker on Sunday. He's played there in Israel and from what we've seen from him the bhoy he can finish. Maybe him through the middle with Jota right and Montgomery left would give the pace and movement for Turnbull and Rogic to find with through balls.
Like the idea of Abada through the middle against European opposition. Bit more space and he can hit on counter, think he's still too slight for packed defences. Kyogo makes his own space by dragging defenders out and spinning back in himself (exactly why he should have played through middle against Goldson). Ajeti is fine but we need to play to his strengths. When he does leave area no-one fills the space he leaves, wide players don't come in tighter and turnbull and Rogic don't move into the area, so Ajeti stays and I don't blame him because if no-one occupies central defenders he'll get the blame. We're better off getting Abada and Jota to the by-line and actually cutting the ball back, force defenders to face their goal and Ajeti can either hang back and create space or keep them busy and Turnbull and Rogic can get into the gaps. We had that one chance at Livi where Abada tried it for Rogic, lobbed it over Tam's head and disappeared into his shell cos Rogic gave him daggers. Right idea, shit execution.

1 shot tonight 0 on target. In fact 8 shots 5 on target in 4 games...and 5 of those shots and 3 on target all against Betis.
I know a lot of fans (myself included) moan about Lawwell not completing the transfer of McGinn, but for me his biggest recent transfer blunder was backing out of buying the very affordable - and exceptionally talented natural goalscorer - Ivan Toney who was desperate to play for us but instead using those funds to buy Ajeti instead. And no, hindsight is not required to know that this was a massive error.

But I guess that is in the past now and we have to deal with the consequences of his shit decision and hope that Ajeti finally finds the form he enjoyed in Switzerland and starts scoring for fun for us.

It's not like we have a striker on the bench that needs game time.
Don't know if there's any truth in it Lubos, but talk around me tonight was that our new striker suffered some kind of injury during the warm up. If true I can see the reason for the subs. One fit striker at the club and the game's won. Why risk injury? As I say, I don't know if it's true.

Members online

No members online now.

Back