Anthony Ralston

I haven't posted for a while but I must, if I'm not behind the times, do you agree with me that Anthony Ralston could be a "Scott Brown" replacement.
maybe at Aberdeen because that where he should be working offshore because if there is one thing he isn't its a footballer

Ralston is exposed at the back with the system that is being played he puts his heart into the game and has played better than most of us expected so far this season he does lack pace and looks leggy when trying to get back from a forward position

Ralston is exposed at the back with the system that is being played he puts his heart into the game and has played better than most of us expected so far this season he does lack pace and looks leggy when trying to get back from a forward position
If I'm being honest dmac, I'm struggling to see how the system is actually supposed to work. As far as I see it BOTH fullbacks will be exposed. For this system to work we'll need better tactical understanding from our midfield players.That, and a level of fitness to allow them to cover the grass when we don't have the ball and our fullbacks leave space which is easily exploited. I've spent my life watching our club playing in a certain way. We've even given it a name.....the Celtic way. However, much as I love to watch the team attacking, I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about our defence.
The balance in our midfield also seems wrong to me. Maybe I'm stuck in some kind of time warp and so don't quite grasp the modern thinking, but for me too many players with the same skills leads to a lack of balance. I can only hope Ange will turn things round when he has our injured players back. Right now we look good for mid table. As it stands we now expect to give teams a chance or three.

If I'm being honest dmac, I'm struggling to see how the system is actually supposed to work. As far as I see it BOTH fullbacks will be exposed. For this system to work we'll need better tactical understanding from our midfield players.That, and a level of fitness to allow them to cover the grass when we don't have the ball and our fullbacks leave space which is easily exploited. I've spent my life watching our club playing in a certain way. We've even given it a name.....the Celtic way. However, much as I love to watch the team attacking, I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about our defence.
The balance in our midfield also seems wrong to me. Maybe I'm stuck in some kind of time warp and so don't quite grasp the modern thinking, but for me too many players with the same skills leads to a lack of balance. I can only hope Ange will turn things round when he has our injured players back. Right now we look good for mid table. As it stands we now expect to give teams a chance or three.
As I said on another thread Frank...we have to make Plan A better for it to work....Ange will not change.....that's what he does.....Hopefully it clicks for us....

As I said on another thread Frank...we have to make Plan A better for it to work....Ange will not change.....that's what he does.....Hopefully it clicks for us....
It's still early days Lennono, and my expectations weren't sky high to begin with. The magnitude of the task always suggested to me it would take time. I'm still very much in Ange's corner, and so I expect a bumpy ride. All I ask is that I see improvement.

I keep pointing out during games That our wide guys tuck in too much which ends up with the opposition having 2 players against our rb and lb more noticeable in European games if they stay out wider it stops that overload. A lot of our problems are fixable if you know how to go from attacking setup to a defensive one which our players seem unable to do as they are mostly ball watching instead of watching the players about them so frustrating as it's basic stuff

Last edited:
I keep pointing out during games That our wide guys tuck in too much which ends up with the opposition having 2 players against our rb and lb more noticeable in European games if the stay out wider stops that overload. A lot of our problems are fixable if you know how to go from attacking setup to a defensive one which our players seem unable to do as they are mostly ball watching instead of watching the players about them so frustrating as it's basic stuff
Can't disagree with anything you say dmac, that's what I mean about being tactically aware. And you're correct it is basic stuff.

Back